History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Croxton Kerrial, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8565 / 52°51'23"N

Longitude: -0.7609 / 0°45'39"W

OS Eastings: 483532

OS Northings: 329497

OS Grid: SK835294

Mapcode National: GBR CP7.SKJ

Mapcode Global: WHFJP.8GYH

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 1 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1360916

English Heritage Legacy ID: 190142

Location: Croxton Kerrial, Melton, Leicestershire, NG32

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

Civil Parish: Croxton Kerrial

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Croxton Kerrial

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Knipton

Listing Text

SK 8329 CROXTON KERRIAL CHURCH LANE
(North side)

40/350 Church of St John
the Baptist
1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. C15, restored 1866-68 by G.G. Scott. Chancel of ironstone;
nave, aisles and central tower of limestone. Lead roofs. 3-light
intersecting ogeed west window and 2-light aisle west windows. 3-light
Perpendicular aisle windows, those to north under triangular heads, a
distinction repeated at the aisle east windows, now of 3 lights. 3 2-light
Perpendicular clerestory windows: panel tracery and triangular heads to
both sides. 3 stage central tower supported by diagonal stepped buttresses
with a string course between ringing chamber and belfry stage. Single
slit lights to former, 3-light cusped windows to the latter. Crenellated
parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. One 2-light cusped Y tracery chancel
south window, and a 3-light C19 east window. Against north chancel a C19
vestry under sloping slate roof. Below east window is wall monument to
William Smith 1711: inscription panel framed by entactic fluted pilasters,
reeded to base; segmental pediment with winged cherub head. Interior. 3-
bay octagonal arcade carrying double chamfered arches with hoods. High
bases and polygonal capitals. Crossing piers also of octagonal section
with high bases and octagonal capitals. C19 nave roof of tie beams on
arched braces to wall posts on corbels. Ridge piece, one pair of purlins
and principals, all moulded. Nave has 20 benches with poppyhead carved
bench ends, the ends with geometrical and tracery patterns, the poppyheads
with allegorical scenes and figures. 5 other bench ends attached to C19
benches, all of late C15. Chancel roof as nave, chancel fittings C19
except for altar rail of c. 1630: turned balusters.


Listing NGR: SK8353229497

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.