History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holmeswood Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Tarleton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6504 / 53°39'1"N

Longitude: -2.8754 / 2°52'31"W

OS Eastings: 342233

OS Northings: 417450

OS Grid: SD422174

Mapcode National: GBR 8VC7.85

Mapcode Global: WH863.SHYX

Entry Name: Holmeswood Hall

Listing Date: 11 October 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361826

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357766

Location: Tarleton, West Lancashire, Lancashire, PR4

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

Parish: Tarleton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Tarleton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Listing Text

TARLETON THE MARSHES LANE
SD 41 NW
Holmeswood
6/63 Holmeswood Hall
11.10.1968
GV II

Hunting or fishing lodge (or part thereof) built by Hesketh family of
Rufford, now farmhouse. Dated 1568 at 2nd floor; altered. Brick roughcast
and painted white; pitched roof concealed by parapet. Rectangular
single-cell 3-storey tower with embattled parapet, large rectangular
external chimney stack in left return wall continued above the parapet and
finished with battlements disguising flues; in south front one large square
window on each of the 1st 2 floors, a 3-light casement at 2nd floor, and
between the upper windows a carved stone plaque in ropework surround with a
wheatsheaf in the centre flanked by stylised letters T H (= Thomas Hesketh)
with date 15 68 in upper corners. Addition to rear. Other features and
interior of less interest. History: associated with fishing and hunting on
and around former Martin Mere (which was 4 miles long and 2 miles wide
before draining); probably built to protect Hesketh's disputed rights here.
Reference: VCH Lancs VI pp.116-7; and W.G. Procter "The Manor of Rufford
and the Ancient Family of the Heskeths" His. Soc. Lancs and Cheshire, 23,
1907, pp.91-118.


Listing NGR: SD4223317450

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.