History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Runshaw Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Euxton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6759 / 53°40'33"N

Longitude: -2.697 / 2°41'49"W

OS Eastings: 354054

OS Northings: 420165

OS Grid: SD540201

Mapcode National: GBR 9TLY.X0

Mapcode Global: WH860.JVYV

Entry Name: Runshaw Hall

Location: Euxton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Parish: Euxton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Listing Date: 21 February 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357634

Source ID: 1362141

Listing Text

SD 52 SW EUXTON RUNSHAW LANE

2/117 Runshaw Hall
-
- II


Large house, dated 1862, now restaurant. Red brick with yellow stone
dressings, hipped slate roof with bracketed eaves, various chimneys.
Rectangular plan 6 x 3 bays. Two storeys: Italianate style with eclectic
decoration. Entrance front at south end, where 1st bay breaks forward
slightly; stone plinth, 2 bands at 1st floor level, rusticated quoins
to all corners (vermiculated at ground floor level); doorcase close to
angle with flat bay composed of panelled pilasters and heavily moulded
entablature with a cornice, and suspended from the capitals of the
pilasters prominent carved clumps of foliage; above this at 1st floor
a window with banded jambs and stone head with segmental cornice. Left
of door, 1st bay has a window on each floor with elaborately carved
stone architraves: at ground floor a pedimented entablature carried by
free-standing columns to the pediment and by flanking pilasters all with
elaborately carved capitals; at 1st floor a Venetian window with moulded
pilasters and cornices to the margin lights. Right of door is a large
tripartite window with a cornice, and above this a pair of sashed windows
with banded jambs and a cornice; the upper leaf of the sashed windows
here (and of some at the sides) has round-headed glazing. West front has
at left end 2 coupled bays (breaking forwards slightly) with interlocking
pedimented gables and banded quoins, the left of these with a prominent
semicircular 2-storey bay; east front has in the centre a pedimented
gabled bay which breaks forward slightly, with banded quoins, and left
of this at ground floor a service door with decorative head dated 1862;
other features of these 2 sides are of less interest. At north west
corner is an attached square-sectioned tower with a flat-roofed belvedere
topped by ornamental railings. Interior: contains some contemporary
decorative features.


Listing NGR: SD5405420165

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.