This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1443 / 54°8'39"N
Longitude: -2.7682 / 2°46'5"W
OS Eastings: 349913
OS Northings: 472321
OS Grid: SD499723
Mapcode National: GBR 9N3J.H4
Mapcode Global: WH83V.G308
Entry Name: Old Rectory
Listing Date: 2 May 1968
Last Amended: 7 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362462
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182023
Location: Warton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA5
Civil Parish: Warton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Warton St Oswald (or Holy Trinity)
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 47 SE WARTON MAIN STREET (EAST SIDE)
3/237 Old Rectory
2.5.1968 (formerly listed as Ruins of
Rector's House in Vicarage
Former Rectory, now a ruin, mid C14th. Rubble with sandstone dressings.
Originally comprised an open hall, with service rooms and a 1st floor at the
north end, extending as a wing to the east. Only the foundations of this
wing survive, together with those of a porch to the eastern door of the
cross passage. The steeply-pitched south gable of the hall has an ogee
quatrefoiled light under the apex. At the north end is the cross passage,
with moulded external doors and 3 chamfered service doors in the north wall.
The north wall of the building has been partly rebuilt, but contains a
central chamfered doorway with 2-centred arch, presumably leading to an
external kitchen. On either side of this are chamfered lights with 2-centred
heads. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: SD4991372321
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings