Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6323 / 54°37'56"N
Longitude: -1.6538 / 1°39'13"W
OS Eastings: 422443
OS Northings: 526401
OS Grid: NZ224264
Mapcode National: GBR JGWW.R7
Mapcode Global: WHC58.KTNQ
Entry Name: Daniel Adamsons Coach House
Location: Shildon, County Durham, DL4
County: County Durham
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Listing Date: 20 February 1980
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112184
Source ID: 1365641
NZ 22 NW SHILDON BYERLEY ROAD
4/68 Daniel Adamson's
20/2/80 Coach House
Former railway coach house. Circa 1831 for Daniel Adamson. Hammer-dressed
sandstone and renewed Welsh Slate roof. Tall, single-storey building with
flush quoins. Gabled front has blocked semicircular-arched opening with flush
voussoirs and impost bands. Inserted late C20 boarded door with replaced 4-pane
sash above. Roof has renewed coped gables and shaped footstones. 2-bay left
return has low plinth and 2 similar blind arched openings. Gabled rear has similar
In 1827 Daniel Adamson pioneered a horse-drawn railway coach, Perseverance,
which ran between Shildon and Darlington. In 1831, when the Surtess Railway
was opeded, Adamson built the coach house to act as both a station and a shed.
The building is probably the earliest surviving railway coach house in the
(R.Corkin, Shilton, Cradle of the Railways, 1975)
Listing NGR: NZ2244326401
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings