History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jubilee Clock Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Weymouth and Portland, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6144 / 50°36'51"N

Longitude: -2.4526 / 2°27'9"W

OS Eastings: 368074

OS Northings: 79509

OS Grid: SY680795

Mapcode National: GBR PY.D3RX

Mapcode Global: FRA 57RF.VQZ

Entry Name: Jubilee Clock Tower

Listing Date: 14 June 1974

Last Amended: 22 December 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365876

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467613

Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

Town: Weymouth and Portland

District Council Ward: Melcombe Regis

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Radipole and Melcombe Regis

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Melcombe Regis

Listing Text


WEYMOUTH

SO6879NW ESPLANADE
873-1/18/167 (East side)
14/06/74 Jubilee Clock Tower
(Formerly Listed as:
ESPLANADE
Jubilee Memorial Clock Tower)

GV II

Memorial clock tower. 1887. For the Jubilee of Queen Victoria,
the gift of Sir Henry Edwards. Cast- and wrought-iron on stone
base.
The large 4-faced clock under a square ogee cupola on a broad
moulded base is set on a square shaft with deep frieze with
anthemion enrichment and flared cornice. Each face of the
shaft carries 2 panels, with the Queen's head and the Weymouth
arms respectively. The shaft is flared out to 4 plinth panels
under segmental pediments; on 3 faces inscribed "Erected to
commemorate the Jubilee of Her Majesty the Queen 1887. John
Groves, Mayor", and on the seaward face "Jubilee Memorial
Erected by Public Subscription. The clock being the gift of
Sir Henry Edwards". The 4 faces are linked in an octagon on
octagonal plus a circular moulded base, set to a shallow
multangular stone base.
A florid but characteristic enrichment to the sea-front, boldy
coloured.


Listing NGR: SY6807479509

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.