History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bettws-y-Crwyn, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4245 / 52°25'28"N

Longitude: -3.1693 / 3°10'9"W

OS Eastings: 320584

OS Northings: 281368

OS Grid: SO205813

Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.N8F0

Mapcode Global: VH68S.0BW6

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Location: Bettws-y-Crwyn, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Parish: Bettws-y-Crwyn

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Listing Date: 21 March 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257099

Source ID: 1367242

Listing Text

SO 28 SW BETTWS-Y-CRWYN C.P. BETTWS-Y-CRWYN

5/6 Church of St Mary
21.3.68

GV II*

Parish church. Late C13 or C14, nave partly and chancel completely
rebuilt in 1860. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; slate
roof. Nave, chancel and south porch. Verge parapets; semi-integral
west bell-turret with plinth and set-back to gabled bellcote with
chamfered-arched opening. Nave: south side: three C19 windows,
paired lancets with hoodmoulds and carved stops; chamfered arched
doorway between first and second windows from left with 6-panelled
doors; south porch with chamfered archway, side benches within and
hexagonal datestone in gable: "RESTORED/AD/1860". North side: 3 late
C13 or C14 lancets with hoodmoulds and carved stops. Chancel: single
lancets to north and south with hoodmoulds and carved stops; C15-style
East window with 3 trefoiled ogee-headed lights, panelled tracery and
hoodmoulds with carved stops. Interior: C15 or early C16 six-bay nave
roof has arch-braced trusses with moulded bases, collars with cusped
V-struts above, 2 pairs of moulded purlins, and 3 tiers of cusped wind-
braces forming quatrefoil panels; collar and tie-beam truss to west
with inclined queen struts and V-struts above collar; probably C19
two-bay chancel roof as nave; 8-bay late C15 or C16 screen has round-
arched lights with open tracery and bisecting mullions, moulded tie-
beam above and open quatrefoiled panel beneath, and central 2-bay opening
with carved spandrels; C17 octagonal wooden pulpit with lugged panels
and reader's desk with raised and fielded panels; C18 altar rails with
turned balusters but minus centre gate; C19 font with C17 panelled cover;
C19 pews with bold poppyheads and the names of farms within the parish
painted on; C19 panelled sanctuary. Late C18 and early C19 wall tablets.
Despite the unpromising exterior, the interior of this church, with its
excellent roof structure and screen, is most rewarding. B.O.E., p.75;
Cranage, Vol.5, Pp.429-30. - -


Listing NGR: SO2058481368

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.