Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0553 / 53°3'19"N
Longitude: -0.778 / 0°46'40"W
OS Eastings: 481999
OS Northings: 351589
OS Grid: SK819515
Mapcode National: GBR CLW.G3N
Mapcode Global: WHFHQ.0GSL
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Location: Balderton, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG24
District: Newark and Sherwood
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Listing Date: 16 January 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242639
Source ID: 1369963
SK 85 SW BALDERTON MAIN STREET (south side)
(Town street on OS map)
3/4 Church of St. Giles
Parish church, C12, C13, C14, restored c.1880 with C20 additions. Coursed
rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables with kneelers and 2
ridge crosses. Tower with spire, nave, north and south aisles with north and
south porches, chancel with north chapel. Buttressed with a sill band which
continues above the south doorway interrupted by the tower, porches, and all but
the 2 single north aisle buttresses. The C13 tower of 3 stages with 4 string
courses, is set on a plinth and was encased in ashlar in the 1880s. It has 2
buttresses, each having at the set off point a small crocketed triangular blind
arch with carved heads as label stops. The arched west doorway with moulded
surround has to either side a single inner colonnette and plain capital with
hood mould and label stops over. To the north is a small rectangular light.
The 1st floor has an arched 2-light traceried and cusped window. The north
wall has 3 small square headed openings, one with cusping. There are 4 arched
and traceried openings with cusping to the bell chamber. The tower is embattled
with pinnacles and has guttering with gargoyles under. There is a c.1400
crocketed spire with one tier of crocketed lucarnes. The north aisle has to
the west an angle buttress. The west wall has an arched 2-light reticulated
tracery window. The north wall has 3 arched 3-light reticulated tracery windows
with hood moulds and label stops. The ashlar C12 porch, which is one window in
from the west, has a coped gable with ornate ridge cross with a single C19
buttress either side, decorated with a colonnette with foliate decoration
in place of a capital. To both east and west walls is a single arched window
with inner order of engaged colonnettes with scalloped capitals. The central
doorway has an inner order of beakheads along jambs and arch, with 2 colonnettes
to either side, the inner decorated with zigzag to the east and cable to the
west. The outer are both decorated with zigzag. The colonnettes have
scalloped capitals which support arches with chevron decoration. The hoodmould
has alternate billet decoration and label stops. Above the door is an arched
niche with inner order of engaged colonnettes and scalloped capitals, this
contains a late C12 figure of a saint in poor condition, with blind arcading
over. The north chapel has to its east wall an arched 3-light reticulated
tracery window. The north chancel has 2 lancets. The east end has an arched
3-light window with panel tracery and cusping. The south chancel has from
east to west a lancet window, an arched 3-light window with tracery and cusping,
an arched doorway and a small arched window with hoodmould and one label stop
to the west. The south aisle has to its east wall an arched 3-light inter-
secting tracery window with hood mould and label stops. The south wall has to
the east 2 arched 2-light Y tracery windows with hood mould and label stops.
The C12 ashlar porch is enclosed by an ashlar and slate roofed C20 extension.
The exterior doorway of the porch has a moulded arch and jambs with hood mould
and remnants of label stops, to the east side is an incised stone sundial.
The inner door has a chevron inner arch and jambs. A pair of colonnettes with
scalloped capitals support a further chevron arch and imposts with an arched
hood mould decorated with 2 rows of billet mould and an intercalated row of
arches. To the west of the extension is an arched 3-light reticulated tracery
window with hood mould and label stops. The west wall has an arched 3-light
reticulated tracery window with hood mould and label stops. The north porch
has a C15 inner wicket door with elaborate blind tracery with an effigy of the
virgin and child. The arch over is supported by imposts. The porch interior
has C19 blind arcading with decorated arches. Interior. The 4 bay nave arcades
both have octagonal piers with capitals supporting double chamfered arches and
hood moulds. The C14 south arcade has label stops and foliate decorated
capitals. The north arcade is C13. The chamfered tower arch has an inner
order of engaged columns supporting an inner arch. Over is evidence of a
removed gallery. An arched doorway with imposts leads to the bell
chamber. A double chamfered arch separates north aisle and north chapel.
There is a small niche to the south side of the south aisle. The double
chamfered arch with hood mould and label stops separating nave and chancel has a
restored C15 traceried screen under, with a carved C16 figure of St. Francis
to the west and to the east a C15 carved figure of the Virgin and Child.
There is a chamfered arch over to the north chapel, now housing the organ.
The north wall has an aumbry with a piscina to the south wall. The south
doorway is arched and the east window has an arch over with label stops. 3 of
the chancel windows have fragments of C14 and C15 coloured glass. The chancel
has a wagon roof. There are a number of C15 pews with blind tracery and
elaborate poppyheads. The remainder are undecorated C19. The C15 pulpit has
blind tracery. The octagonal font is C14 and has ballflower ornament on its
shaft. On the east wall of the chancel is a finely carved monument to Mary
Sikes, c.1828 by Willson, Bath Place, Fitzroy Square, London. This comprises
2 figures on the top of a sarcophagus, one kneeling, with urn between. There
is also a finely carved monument to Joseph and Jane Sikes c.1778, having
decorated tablet with open pediment over, supporting at its edges 2 urns.
The chancel south wall has a monument in the form of a sarcophagus with urn
over c.1817 to Robert Harvey. On the chancel north wall is a finely carved
monument of c.1812 to Matthew Harvey. This has inscription surmounted by an
urn. On the south aisle wall is a small brass c.1660 to Anna and Francis Leek.
There is also a monument to Sarah and Christopher Hancer c.1821, consisting of
an urn placed on top of a pier, with a further monument to William Hancer, c.1798.
Listing NGR: SK8199951589
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings