This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.145 / 53°8'41"N
Longitude: -0.8064 / 0°48'22"W
OS Eastings: 479935
OS Northings: 361537
OS Grid: SK799615
Mapcode National: GBR CKP.T46
Mapcode Global: WHFH9.L67T
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 11 August 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369982
English Heritage Legacy ID: 242743
Location: Cromwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23
District: Newark and Sherwood
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Cromwell
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 76 SE CROMWELL MAIN STREET
4/40 Church of
11-8-61 St. Giles
Parish church. C13, C14, C15. Partly restored 1873-76 by Ewan
Christian. Coursed rubble dressed stone and ashlar. Plain and
interlocking tile and slate roofs. West tower, nave with
clerestory, south aisle and south chancel chapel, chancel,
vestry. West tower, c.1427, 4 stages. Chamfered plinth, 4
string courses, eaves band with 6 gargoyles, crenellated parapet.
At north east corner, a full height stair turret. First stage has
to west splayed doorway with hood mould and mask stops, and to
north, a stair light. Second stage has to west a C15 triple
lancet with cusped ogee heads, splayed mullion, chamfered and
rebated reveal and hood mould. To north, a stair light. Third
stage has to west a cusped head lancet in splayed and rebated
square headed reveal with hood mould. To north, stair lights.
Fourth stage has 4 C15 cusped head double lancets with
Perpendicular tracery, coved mullions, coved and splayed reveal
and hood mould. Nave, 3 bays, has to north chamfered rendered
plinth, coved eaves band and moulded coping. Coped east gable.
To east, large irregular buttress, 2 setoffs and plinth. To west
2 restored C14 style double lancets with cusped ogee heads,
Decorated tracery, splayed mullions and reveals. Above, 3 C15
double lancets with chamfered and rebated square headed reveals.
South side has 3 similar clerestory windows. South aisle and
south chancel chapel form continuous range. 3 plus2 bays.
Chamfered plinth and 3 coped gables. Chapel has to south 2
buttresses, 2 setoffs. East end has C13 triple lancet with
intersecting tracery and splayed mullion and reveal. Chapel
south side has to west a C13 restored double lancet with splayed
mullion and reveal. To east, a C19 doorway in C13 style, with
shafts and hood mould with foliate stops. South aisle has to
west a C13 chamfered and rebated doorway with flanking shafts
with plain base and capitals and hood mould. To east, 2 restored
C14 double lancets with cusped ogee heads, Decorated tracery,
splayed mullions and reveals. West end has a C14 lancet with
cusped ogee head and chamfered reveal. Chancel, 2 bays, has
coped east gable with kneelers and cross. North side has to west
2 C13 double lancets with Y tracery, splayed mullions, chamfered
reveals, and hood moulds with mask stops. To east, blocked C15
aumbry with triangular head. To its right, a blocked doorway.
East end has restored 5 light lancet, C14, with cusped flowing
tracery,coved mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal and hood
mould. South side has to east a C14 triple lancet with cusped
ogee heads, flowing tracery, coved mullion, chamfered and rebated
surround and hood mould with mask stops. Vestry, C19, has
chamfered plinth and slate lean-to roof. Remains of pair of
gargoyles. To north and west, single C13 style lancets in
chamfered reveals. To east, chamfered doorway with hood mould.
South arcade, C13, has 2 round piers with water holding bases and
plain octagonal capitals, c.1873. 2 half-round responds and
double chamfered and rebated arches. Nave has a re-set corbel in
the north wall. C15 roof, restored C19. Low pitched, with
heavily moulded ridge and purlins, moulded cambered tie beams,
and additional C19 tie beams on large chamfered corbels.
Foliate bosses. Tower arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated
with half-octagon responds with plain bases and capitals. Tower
chamber has to north, a door with four centred arched head.
South aisle has west window with stained glass, C19. Plain C19
lean-to roof on earlier chamfered corbels. Chancel arch, C19 in
C13 style, double chamfered and rebated with half-round responds
with plain bases and capitals. Hood mould with mask stops.
Wrought iron screen, 1881, with central gates. North side has
to east, blocked doorway, C14 with ogee head. Window with
fragments of C15 stained glass. East window has remains of a
moulded niche in left reveal, and a panel of stained glass,
c.1874. C20 stone altar, gradine and tabernacle. South side has
to east a small chamfered C13 piscina and a restored C14 piscina
with moulded surround and bowl. To west, 2 bay arcade to chapel,
C14 with central octagonal pier with moulded octagonal base and
capital, partly restored. Half-round filleted responds with
moulded capitals. Plain double chamfered and rebated arches.
C19 principal rafter roof with collars and arch braces from
corbels. South chancel chapel has to south a half-segmental arch
and a re-set corbel. Plain C19 lean-to roof with struts on
chamfered corbels. Fittings include C19 font with chamfered
square base, round stem with 4 minor marble shafts, and large
chamfered square bowl with inscribed panels. Elaborate C19
wrought iron lectern. Plain panelled C19 benches. Pierced and
arcaded C19 stalls and desks with fleur de lys finials. Wrought
iron altar rail, 1881. C18 four legged stool with turned legs.
Small C19 organ. Monuments include Classical tablet with reeded
pilasters. 1827, plain marble tablets, 1827 and 1832, brass with
Latin inscription, 1728, brass 1827, marble and brass tablet
1871, brass, 1881, tile and alabaster tablet, 1911, and brass
Listing NGR: SK7993961535
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings