History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Little Harle Tower

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kirkwhelpington, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1456 / 55°8'44"N

Longitude: -1.98 / 1°58'47"W

OS Eastings: 401375

OS Northings: 583477

OS Grid: NZ013834

Mapcode National: GBR G8MY.47

Mapcode Global: WHB1G.KXCN

Entry Name: Little Harle Tower

Listing Date: 5 September 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370497

English Heritage Legacy ID: 239604

Location: Kirkwhelpington, Northumberland, NE19

County: Northumberland

Parish: Kirkwhelpington

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Kirkwhelpington with Kirkharle and Kirkheaton

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/08/2016

NZ 08 SW
8/69

KIRKWHELPINGTON
HARLE
Little Harle Tower

(Formerly listed as Littleharle Tower)

GV
II*
House. Medieval, early C18 and 1861-2. Medieval work rubble, early C18 work
dressed stone, C19 work ashlar. Welsh slate roofs. Irregular plan. Garden
front has 3-storey medieval tower on left; 2-storey, 5-bay early C18 centre
and large externally Victorian tower on right.

Medieval tower has slit windows on ground floor and a blocked pointed-arched
doorway on right return. 1st floor has 12-pane sash with thick glazing bars in
architrave. Similar 9-pane sash on 2nd floor. Crenellated parapet.

Centre section has part-glazed Victorian door under hoodmould and 15-pane sashes
with thick glazing bars in architraves; except 3 central 1st floor windows which
are later 12-pane sashes. Plain parapet.

Tower on right has Georgian core (cf. interior) with rusticated quoins and bands,
but was altered and extended 1861-2. Two bays. Left bay has mullioned and
mullion-and-transom windows. Right bay has 2-storey canted bay window with
mullions and hoodmould on ground floor. 1st floor has tall Gothic windows with
cinquefoil heads, and blank, pointed-arched panel of Geometric tracery above.
Roofs not visible. C18 section has tall stone conjoined corniced ridge stack.
Octagonal corniced stacks elsewhere.

Entrance front is entirely mid C19. Gothic doorway behind large crenellated
porte-cochere. Irregular fenestration with similar Gothic detail to Victorian
tower on garden front.

Interior of medieval tower has walls 6 ft thick, vaulted ground floor and a
stone newel stair which is actually in C18 section and evidence of medieval
house adjoining tower.

The section of Victorian appearance has C18 open-well stair. Drawing room in
same part has Rococo plaster ceiling of 1740-50; carved mid C18 fireplace with
broken semicircular lintel framing bust, and side terms; also 2 elaborate
Palladian pedimented doorcases.

Other rooms Victorian, especially library, and hall with screen of 3 pointed
arches.


Listing NGR: NZ0137583477

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.