Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5429 / 52°32'34"N
Longitude: 1.6461 / 1°38'45"E
OS Eastings: 647327
OS Northings: 300143
OS Grid: TG473001
Mapcode National: GBR YS0.GZK
Mapcode Global: VHM66.HB2Y
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Location: Fritton and St. Olaves, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31
District: Great Yarmouth
Parish: Fritton and St. Olaves
Locality: Fritton and St Olaves
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Listing Date: 27 November 1954
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 227767
Source ID: 1372918
FRITTON & ST. OLAVES CHURCH LANE
TG 40 SE
7/32 Church of St. Edmund
Parish church. C12, with nave enlarged to south C14. West tower, nave,
chancel and sanctuary. Whole building restored 1855, chancel restored 1927.
Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Thatched roofs. 3 stage circular
tower with a slit lancet to the west. Wide brick lined pointed lancets to
ringing chamber and louvred belfry windows, that to west of 2-lights and
carrying a vesica; the remainder are lancets. Rebuilt plain brick parapet.
To south nave is a gabled porch of 1855, matched by a gabled north vestry also
of 1855. 3 2-light C14 nave windows, each light trefoiled and with a pointed
quatrefoil vesica. A large sloping brick buttress is attached to east end
of north nave wall. Small chancel with round apse. At east end are 2 flat
buttresses. Between them and to either side are 3 slit lights (3 in,all).
The chancel is lit through 2 C15 2-light windows under square heads. Interior.
Double wave moulded inner south door. Arched tower doorway. Square font of
1855 in Norman style (copied from that of Hartland, Devon). Boarded scissor
braced nave roof. On north nave wall alarge C14 painting of St. Christopher.
On south-east window jamb of nave a painting of St. John the Baptist, also
C14. Plain but intact early C17 triple decker pulpit. Mid C14 chancel screen
of 3 ogeed bays each side of central opening. C19 circular shafts, plain plank
dado and frieze of geometric roundels below top rail. Quadruple chamfered
chancel arch, rather stilted, leads into a barrel vaulted chancel, divided
from apsidal sanctuary by a flat arch on pilasters. In the chancel are plain
early C14 stalls with vestigial button poppyheads. Chancel arch retains scroll
paintings and other non-figurative decoration, repainted 1927 but of C12 type.
Groin vaulted sanctuary with substantial remains of animal and figurative wall
paintings, all C12. Central splayed lancet flanked by one order shafts on
bases and with scalloped capitals. Zig-zag arch. Remaining 2 lancets have
similar surrounds added 1855. Rare pillar piscina in sanctuary : moulded base
but C19 bowl.
Listing NGR: TG4732700143
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings