This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8577 / 52°51'27"N
Longitude: 1.2155 / 1°12'55"E
OS Eastings: 616571
OS Northings: 333760
OS Grid: TG165337
Mapcode National: GBR VCF.VGH
Mapcode Global: WHLR9.MFZJ
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373464
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224521
Location: Wickmere, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11
District: North Norfolk
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Wickmere with Wolterton
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
In the entry for the following:
TG 13 SE WICKMERE
5/74 Church of St Andrew
The building shall be upgraded to Grade I.
TG 13 SE WICKMERE
5/74 Church of St.Andrew
Parish church. Medieval. Flint, iron bound conglomerate, stone dressings.
Pantile, lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave, north and south aisles,
south porch, chancel. Embattled round tower of conglomerate laid in-herring-
bone pattern to lower part then flint above. West window C14 Decorated
of 2 lights; slit light with brick reveals above. 2-light C14 Decorated
bell-openings with quatrefoils. Gargoyles. Flushwork to battlements.
Quadrant buttress at south angle with nave. To north a brick stair turret.
3 bay nave, with conglomerate in west wall. South aisle east and west
windows C16, 3 lights under segmental arches. Diagonal buttress. Buttress
with brick repairs. Conglomerate in wall. 2 restored C14 2-light windows.
Memorial tablet of 1719 to east face in form of cartouche with angels to
top, a husked garland, then console base. Lead roof. Buttressed north
aisle, ('making of north aisle' mentioned in will of 1535) has blocked door
with 2 hollow chamfered orders and a hood mould. 2 2-light medieval windows
under 4 centred arches. East window of aisle restored but same form as
south aisle east window. West window of 3 lights, restored. Lead roof.
Clerestorey of 4 bays in squared knapped flint with stone crosses between
openings. Alternating encircled quatrefoils and 2-light ogee headed windows
both in square openings under hood moulds. Pantiled roof. Buttressed
chancel with diagonal buttresses. South has 2 C19 Decorated 2-light
windows; priest's door. Conglomerate in all chancel walls. North chancel
has doorway and one 2-light C19 Decorated window. C19 east window of 3-
lights. Porch to first nave bay with flushwork front, shafts with polygonal
abaci to doorway, figure stops, shields in spandrels. Niche over. Square
headed east and west windows of 2 cusped lights. Arch-braced-roof; door
with medieval iron ring and hinges. Stoop to right. Interior. 3 bay
aracade with octagonal piers, bases and abaci; 2 chamfered orders to arch.
South aisle roof early C17 with straight braces and wall posts on corbels.
North aisle roof dated 1592 on wall post has straight braces and rose
bosses. Nave has C19 king-post roof. Corbels with heads for earlier roof.
C19 chancel arch. Chancel has C19 crown post roof. Much restored piscina
and sedilia with cusped ogee arches and shields, tracery and rosettes in
the spandrels. Memorial tomb to William Dix and wife with kneeling figures.
Ionic columns, strapwork around coat of arms, panels with raised shields.
4 Walpole hatchments. Re-used poppy head bench ends. Door to rood stair.
Restored rood screen. Re-used medieval painted panel in pulpit. Chest
tomb to Margaret and Thomas Twiddle of 1729 in south aisle. Cusped piscina.
Marble memorial cartouche to Henrici Spelman died 1698 with achievement
and skull to base. In north aisle a tomb to fifth Earl of Orford dated
1931 with reclining figure and angels by Esmond Burton. In wall a corbel
of image tabernacle with angels and lion. C19 font.
Listing NGR: TG1657133760
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings