History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Dales

A Grade II Listed Building in Upper Sheringham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9315 / 52°55'53"N

Longitude: 1.1847 / 1°11'4"E

OS Eastings: 614138

OS Northings: 341870

OS Grid: TG141418

Mapcode National: GBR VBM.6C1

Mapcode Global: WHLQX.5LD0

Entry Name: The Dales

Listing Date: 30 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1373503

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224652

Location: Upper Sheringham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR26

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Parish: Upper Sheringham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Listing Text

TG 14 SW UPPER SHERINGHAM LODGE HILL

4/122 The Dales

II


Country House, now home for the elderly, 1913-14 in late C16 vernacular style,
possibly by E. Boardman. Coursed knapped squared flint with brick dressings,
plain tiles. Irregular plan. East front: 3 asymmetrical bays, to left of
2 storeys, to right with gabled first floor, the central bay a 3 storeyed
embattled tower with projecting gabled single storey porch. Left gable has
crowstepped parapet; first bay to left has plinth, quoins and string course
of gault brick, semi-circular bow window in red brick with conical plain tiled
roof to ground floor, 9 window lights, 5 of them casements, all with leaded
panes, hollow chamfered brick mullions; brick eaves cornice, 3-light window
with brick ovolo mullions. The centre bay breaks forward c.10cm, and rises
to 2nd floor with embattled parapet of brick and knapped flint chequerwork
having a frieze of moulded brick flowers terminating in terrcotta dragons.
Knapped flint gable to projecting porch with semi-circular headed rusticated
brick arch, brick to imposts; double leaved door of vertical fielded panels
and central rail under rubbed brick segmental arch; small 2-light window
with brick mullion to each return of porch. 1st and 2nd storey each with
6-light window having brick hollow chamfered mullions; central king mullion,
leaded panes and two casements, that to 1st floor transomed. 3rd bay to right
has jettied 1st floor with gable above, both with close painted timber
studding; central door to ground floor flanked by single lights and has
window above of 4 short lights, 2-light windows either side; 6-light wooden
casement to 1st floor with transom. Right hand return has polygonal 2-
storeyed turret with windows to 4 faces on both ground and 1st floor; close
painted timber studding between ground and first floor windows. South Facade:
2 storeys and attic, 5 irregular bays with crow stepped gables to bay 2 and
5. Stacks of 3 octagonal painted shafts with star caps across axis between
bays 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 4 and 5. Projecting single storey brick porch having
embattled parapet of knapped flint and brick chequerwork over a frieze of
moulded Tudor flower brick to 4th bay; 4-centred moulded brick arch having
foliage in the spandrels; large lozenge above of moulded brick showing Tudor
rose. Upper part of door glazed having a 4-centred head. Bay window in gault
brick with hipped tile roof to either side of porch, bays 3 and 5, each with
3-light casements with transoms. Leaded casements with ovolo moulded brick
mullions: 3-lights with transoms to first bay ground floor, 7-lights with
transoms and 2 king mullions to 2nd bay ground floor which breaks forward
having fretwork brick parapet of curved brick to balcony above. 3-lights
to first and 5th bay first floor, 2-lights to 3rd and recessed 4th bay. 2-
light window and door with flanking light to balcony above parapet of 2nd
bay; 2-light windows of gables of bays 2 and 5, gabled roof dormers with
wooden casements to bays 1 and 3. Interior: entrance hall from east with
oak panelling having fluted frieze, strapwork plaster ceiling with floral
designs; stairway behind arcade of classical arches in wood,
open well staircase with shaped balusters. Main rooms to south with carved
doorcases and marble fireplaces. The house was used as a hospital during
the 1914-18 war.


Listing NGR: TG1413841870

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.