Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8501 / 52°51'0"N
Longitude: 1.4677 / 1°28'3"E
OS Eastings: 633587
OS Northings: 333699
OS Grid: TG335336
Mapcode National: GBR XGL.CVZ
Mapcode Global: WHMSK.JM3F
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Location: Bacton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
District: North Norfolk
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224221
Source ID: 1373817
BACTON CHURCH LANE
TG 33 SW
4/6 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. C14 origin, remodelled C15, restored 1847, re-roofed 1895.
Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Nave roof of slate, chancel
thatched. West tower, nave and chancel. 4 stage tower closely dated by
bequests to 1459-1485. Blocked west door under 4-centred arch with carved
shields and tracery in spandrels. 3-light transomed west window. Diagonal
stepped buttresses with flushwork, at their bases nodding ogee statuary niches
with pedestals. Square ringing chamber vent holes with shields carved on
tracery. 2-light belfry windows and crenellated flint parapet. Gabled south
porch with blocked brick side lancets and double chamfered entrance arch.
Brick niche in gable containing figure of Christ. Diagonal buttresses. Wave
moulded inner door below hood mould on labels. Stepped buttresses to nave
between 2-light cusped lozenge windows, 3 on south, 2 on north side. Rood
stairs to south-east. Diagonal east nave buttresses. Stepped side buttresses
to chancel. 2 2-light chancel south windows, one square headed, the other
depressed arched. 3-light C19 cusped intersecting east window. One square
headed single light chancel north window. Interior. Tall tower arch with
semi-circular responds and polygonal capitals. Nave roof 1895 : arched braces
to collars. Arched rere arch to south door, segmental to north door. Hollow
chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds and polygonal capitals.
Scissor braced and boarded chancel roof, stepped to east to accommodate east
window. Stepped sedilia in chancel with 3 hollow chamfered depressed arches.
Octagonal early C15 font on square stem. The stem enriched by 4 crouching
animals at foot from which rise 4 engaged columns with cusped nodding ogee
collars. Between columns are square cusped and crocketted buttresses. The
bowl with 8 winged angel heads to corners. Each panel separated by decorated
buttresses, the panels alternately carved with symbols of 4 Evangelists and
angels bearing shields.
Listing NGR: TG3358633697
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings