History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Abbots Bromley, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8185 / 52°49'6"N

Longitude: -1.8837 / 1°53'1"W

OS Eastings: 407935

OS Northings: 324560

OS Grid: SK079245

Mapcode National: GBR 39P.BL2

Mapcode Global: WHCG2.1F83

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 12 January 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374461

English Heritage Legacy ID: 273734

Location: Abbots Bromley, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, WS15

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire

Parish: Abbots Bromley

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Abbots Bromley St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Listing Text

SK 0624-0724 ABBOTS BROMLEY C.P. CHURCH STREET

16/27 Church of St. Nicholas
12/1/66

GV II*

Parish Church. c1300, clerestorey added c1500, West tower rebuilt
c1700, restored and partly rebuilt by G.E. Street 1852-5. C14 coursed
and squared stone blocks, the rest ashlar; plain tile roofs. West
tower, 3-bay nave, 3-bay chancel, north and south aisles, north and south
chapels, south porch, north-east vestry. West tower: Rebuilt after
collapse of spire (23rd November 1698); 3 stages marked by moulded
strings, rusticated pilaster strips to west corners of first stage
capped by scrolls, rusticated quoins to second and third stages; lower
stage has round headed West door with raised key stone flanked by
panelled pilasters; second stage has blind panel above West door, north
and south sides have a circular window with moulded surround and blind
panel over; third stage has window to each side of 2 round headed lights
and moulded architrave and sill, west side has circular window below and
a clock between the two; balustraded parapet with panelled pedestals at
the corners capped by urn finials spouting flame. Nave: Clerestory of
c1500 with pointed windows of 3 trefoiled lights. North aisle: c1300;
central pointed door with half-roll and fillet moulded surround, and roll
and fillet hood mould terminating in heads; 3-light window to east with
intersecting tracery and roll and fillet hood mould terminating on the
east side in a head, 3-light pointed window to west, all lights with
trefoiled heads, the central one pointed, the outer ones rounded,
crenellated parapet; C18 West window to aisle with round head, moulded
architrave and raised key. South aisle: C19 remodelling; windows
have cusped intersecting tracery and hood moulds terminating in foliage.
Gabled South porch C19, timber framed on ashlar plinth with cusped
open arch, to pointed south door of 2 orders: nook shafts and roll and
fillet moulded arch, hood mould terminating in foliage. North chapel
(Hurst Chapel) C19; windows have Decorated style tracery. South Chapel
(Lady Chapel) C19; triple lancet windows to south side, east window has
5 lancets under a hood mould terminating in leaf decoration. Chancel
window of 7 trefoil headed lights and circle above filled with
geometrical figures. Interior: Nave arcades c1300, octagonal piers
with moulded capitals and chamfered pointed arches; C19 wooden
chancel arch springing from stone corbels carved with naturistic
foliage round headed door to West tower; nearly flat C19 timber nave
roof with moulded tie beams supporting a ridge piece and one pair of
purlins; C19 chancel and aisle roofs with arch braced collars cusped in
sanctuary; chancel with alabaster screen wall and moulded alabaster caps
to piers has sedilia and piscina to south and aumbry to north. Fittings:
stone font c1700, circular moulded base, cylindrical pedestal and gadrooned
bowl in form of an urn; C19 carved choir stalls by Street; C19 wooden
altar rail on twisted wrought iron standards with scrolled brackets and
leaf decoration; C19 stone table on marble columns. 2 brass chandeliers
of c1820 and 5 brass lamps. Monuments: Brass memorial to John Draycote,
burgess of Abbots Bromley d.1463; Warburton family memorial, C17, marble,
bracketed aedicule, winged skull to centre of base flanked by cherubs,
panelled pilasters decorated with cross bones and hour-glasses, fishscale
pilaster caps with torches on top, cherubs and coat of arms above; memorial
to John and Edward Vernon died 1756 and 1780, shaped marble plaque with
moulded cornice, surmounted by an obelisk, containing a coat of arms.
Stained glass: Good East window by Burtison and Grylls. Miscellanea:
Reindeer horns, hobby horse, and crossbow used in the Abbots Bromley horn
dance.


Listing NGR: SK0793524560

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.