History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Newborough, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.826 / 52°49'33"N

Longitude: -1.8007 / 1°48'2"W

OS Eastings: 413525

OS Northings: 325400

OS Grid: SK135254

Mapcode National: GBR 4BY.TV2

Mapcode Global: WHCG3.97RC

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Location: Newborough, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE13

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire

Parish: Newborough

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Listing Date: 12 January 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 273885

Source ID: 1374507

Listing Text

SK 12 NW NEWBOROUGH C.P. NEWBOROUGH

11/178 Church of All Saints
12/1/66
- II

Parish Church. 1899-1901 on a medieval site. By J. Oldrid Scott.
Coursed and squared stone with ashlar dressings; plain tile roof with
coped verges on shaped kneelers. 5-bay nave with north porch, 2-bay
chancel, south-east vestry and tower and north-east organ projection
with diagonal buttresses; Gothic style. Nave: Bay divisions marked
by buttresses pointed windows of 3 cinquefoil headed lights and Decorated
tracery, 2 West widows separated by a buttress, both pointed and of 3
trefoil-headed lights with Decorated tracery over, hood moulds ending in
shields; gabled north porch with circular traceried windows to gable,
pointed opening with roll moulded hood terminating in shields leading
to pointed north door. Chancel: Pointed east window has 3-lights,
the 2 outer ones trefoil-headed, the central one cinquefoiled, cusped
tracery over, pointed window to north side with 2 ogee trefoil-headed
lights and quatrefoil over. Tower: 5 stages, square plan for first
2 stages, octagonal above with crocketed spire, semi-octagonal projection
to south. First stage has pointed windows with single cinquefoil-
headed lights, second stage has trefoil-headed lights under an ogee
arch and a parapet with quatrefoil openings, third stage blind, fourth
stage has ogee-headed panels containing ogee arch. Windows with
trefoil-headed lights, belfry stage has louvred openings of 2 trefoil
headed lights under an ogee arch with supermullion rising to a square
head. Organ projection: Gable has circular light containing cusped
tracery, within a square frame. Interior: Pointed chancel arch with
double chamfer and roll and fillet moulded hood; nave roof has king
posts braced on 4 sides, the braces extending to ridge piece and to
principal rafters, tie beams supported by short posts standing on stone
corbels with braces extending to soffit of tie beams; arch-braced
collar roof over chancel with king post above. Fittings: Octagonal
stone font of 1916, wooden eagle lectern, octagonal stone pulpit and
wooden rood screen, all early C20.


Listing NGR: SK1352525400

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.