Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7967 / 53°47'48"N
Longitude: -1.5465 / 1°32'47"W
OS Eastings: 429966
OS Northings: 433476
OS Grid: SE299334
Mapcode National: GBR BJL.CR
Mapcode Global: WHC9D.6TTQ
Entry Name: Mill Hill Chapel
Location: Leeds, LS1
Locality: City and Hunslet
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Listing Date: 26 September 1963
Last Amended: 11 September 1996
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466326
Source ID: 1375430
SE2933SE PARK ROW
714-1/77/303 (East side)
26/09/63 Mill Hill Chapel
(Formerly Listed as:
Mill Hill Chapel (Unitarian)
(including churchyard wall and
gateway to east))
Unitarian chapel. 1847-48. By Bowman and Crowther of
Manchester. Late C19 alterations and internal re-ordering
c1925 and 1960. Millstone grit, slate roof. Gothic Revival
style. Aligned north-south. 7 bays, the central projecting bay
is a 1-bay transept with main west entrance, vestry to NE and
east entrance from Lower Basinghall Street.
Deep moulded rebate to west entrance; 2- and 5-light traceried
Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds, stepped buttresses
between which are carried up through the trefoil-pierced
parapets as bases for missing crocketed finials; elaborate
pierced lantern tops and finials only remain on the octagonal
buttresses flanking the south window; cross finials to gables.
INTERIOR: the west doorway opens into a lobby which has
pre-1847 wall memorial tablets and an inserted ceiling; the
6-bay nave with shallow side aisles has clustered columns and
an arch-braced roof with angels carved on the brackets and
stone corbels also carved with angels; the southern 3 bays
have been partitioned off to form a church hall with storage
loft/gallery over, c1960.
The nave has original pews with crocketed finials and pew-end
doors with original latches, hinges and plaques with pew
numbers; pulpit of Caen stone on west side. The shallow
chancel has raised marble flooring with memorial to Charles
Hargrove, minister 1876-1912, d.1918, and choir stalls c1925,
reredos with mosaics by Salvati of Venice, c1884, of Christ
and the prophets; organ in west aisle post 1896, (a memorial
to the Bulmer family); the vestry was enlarged at the expense
of Sir James Kitson, Bart, 1897.
STAINED GLASS: includes in the west wall an original window by
Warrington of London, a memorial to Arthur Lupton and Anne; in
the east wall and obscured by the gallery stairs: a fine early
but faded Morris window in memory of Ann Kitson, d.1865,
mayoress 1860-62 and mother of James Kitson, first Lord
Airedale: Pelican pietas, angels with musical instruments,
figures of Ruth, Martha and Mary Magdalen designed by William
Morris and Dorcas by Ford Maddox Brown.
In the east wall 2 windows by Clayton and Bell; at the north
end the Lord Airedale memorial window by AK Nicholson of
London (1912) represents the continuity of Christianity and
portrays local and national figures including Sir James Kitson
MEMORIALS: tablets include on the west wall: John W Connon,
local architect, d.1921.
Mill Hill Chapel is renowned for the ministry of Joseph
Priestley, 1767-1773 at the then Presbyterian chapel built in
1674. The present building was used and elaborated early C20
by a small but politically active and very influential
congregation led by the Revd Charles Hargrove and Sir James
(Fitzpatrick, A C: Mill Hill Chapel; guidebook: 1989-; Fraser,
D: A History of Modern Leeds: Manchester: 1980-: 336).
Listing NGR: SE2996633476
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings