History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilsby United Reformed Church and Adjoining Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Kilsby, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3336 / 52°20'1"N

Longitude: -1.1765 / 1°10'35"W

OS Eastings: 456212

OS Northings: 270934

OS Grid: SP562709

Mapcode National: GBR 8R2.PCG

Mapcode Global: VHCTZ.KLDX

Entry Name: Kilsby United Reformed Church and Adjoining Cottage

Listing Date: 11 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376650

English Heritage Legacy ID: 361050

Location: Kilsby, Daventry, Northamptonshire, CV23

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Kilsby

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Kilsby St Faith

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Kilsby

Listing Text

KILSBY CHAPEL STREET
SP5670 (South side)
15/157 Kilsby United Reformed Church
and adjoining cottage

GV II

Chapel. 1784. Coursed squared ironstone, corrugated asbestos tile roof. 2
storeys; 3 bays. Central 2-light casement window, the lintel covered by board
inscribed with times of services, on ground floor. Doorway on either side with
wood lintel and 6-panel door. Three 2-light transomed windows with wood lintels
on the first floor. Semi-circular window with stone surround with keyblock in
gable. Coped gable end. Interior: pulpit with canopy, C18. Panelled dado around
all walls. Gallery on 3 wood Tuscan columns with panelled front, the upper part
now partitioned to form a schoolroom. Pews late C19. Wall tablet inscribed "To
the memory of Thomas Strange, this house erected and this congregation greatly
improved ..... He settled at Kilby in 1753 and died in 1784". Formerly the
Congregational chapel. Cottage adjoining to left, late C18, brick, slate roof,
brick stack. 2 bays; 2 storeys. Doorway with arched brick surround and 4-panel
door in right bay. Two blocked windows with similar brick surrounds to left.
Carriage entrance with wood lintel and plank doors in left bay. Two-light
casement windows with wood lintels on the first floor. Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: SP5621270934

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.