Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1828 / 51°10'57"N
Longitude: -0.0887 / 0°5'19"W
OS Eastings: 533685
OS Northings: 144349
OS Grid: TQ336443
Mapcode National: GBR KL2.VSK
Mapcode Global: VHGSK.DJZN
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Location: Horne, Tandridge, Surrey, RH6
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Last Amended: 25 April 1984
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287371
Source ID: 1377549
TQ 34SW HORNE C.P. CHURCH ROAD
8/131 Church of St Mary the
11/6/58 (formerly listed as
Church of St Mary)
Church. C14, restored and vestry added in 1880 by Gordon M. Hills. Rubblestone,
coursed on south-west, west and south porch, rendered with angle quoins to chancel.
Plain tiled roof with some courses of Horsham slabs at eaves height on chancel;
shingled bellcote and broach spire with iron finial. Nave with aisle to north,
porch to south bell-cote to west and chancel with vestry to east. One C14 window
on south side of nave and two square headed Perpendicular style windows in deep
reveals. Remainder restored or replica. Gabled porch to south with timber framed
walls and leaded windows C19 door inside moulded stone surround.
Interior: Tiled floor, four bay north aisle arcade on round piers with moulded
capitals and corbelled arches. Open timber roof with billeted wall plate. 3 tie
beams the one to west braced with further posts above for the bell-cote. C19
chancel arch to two bay chancel.
Fittings: Late C19 panelled and arcaded pulpit. Perpendicular style rood screen
now across west end with narrow trefoil head bays. Octagonal stone font with
decorated panels on short stem.
Monuments: North chancel wall. Kneeler type monument to John Goowine. Died 1618.
Painted wood in imitation of stone with strapwork crest to centre of top Coat of
Arms. Obelisks crowned by sphere and spike finials flanking. Double arches below
with central pendant, kneeling figures facing each other across desk in the arches.
Inscription plate below. Considerable amounts of the original colouring remain.
North wall - Monument to Ralph Hope. Died 1681. Black stone panel, veined marble
surround with crowning broken pediment with rosette ends flanking central Coat of
Arms cartouche. Lugged surround to inscription panel with flanking scrolls,
cherubs heads to base. Further inscription panel placed on top to John and Sarah
Seale. Died 1777 with rosette decoration to corners and brackets below.
Listing NGR: TQ3368544349
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings