This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3186 / 51°19'6"N
Longitude: -0.03 / 0°1'48"W
OS Eastings: 537377
OS Northings: 159560
OS Grid: TQ373595
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.P45
Mapcode Global: VHGS0.F4H0
Entry Name: Warlingham Park Hospital Water Tower
Listing Date: 10 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287951
Location: Chelsham and Farleigh, Tandridge, Surrey, CR6
Civil Parish: Chelsham and Farleigh
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Chelsham St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
The following building shall be added:
CHELSHAM AND FARLEIGH CHELSHAM ROAD (off)
TQ 35 NE
303-/3/10006 Wadingham Park Hospital
Water tower. 1903 by G H Oakley and W S Skinner as part of Warlingham Park Hospital, a
mental asylum for the county Borough of Croydon. Free-standing Venetian-style campanile.
Three stages of red brick in flemish bond with two stages above in bands of yellow and red
brick in flemish bond and clockstage above in red brick. Hipped slate roof with iron weather
vane. three lower stages have lancet windows and round-headed windows to ground floor and
round-headed doorcase with 6 flush-panelled door and louvred fanlight. Lean-to to rear. Above
this are 2 stages of ribbed polychrome brickwork with lancets. Water tank stage above has
chamfered corners, blank round-headed arches, clock faces on three sides and
pseudo-machicolations. Brick modillion eaves cornice and elaborate metal weathervane. This
water tower is very prominent in the landscape as a landmark.
Listing NGR: TQ3737759560
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings