Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.473 / 51°28'22"N
Longitude: -0.0869 / 0°5'12"W
OS Eastings: 532965
OS Northings: 176633
OS Grid: TQ329766
Mapcode National: GBR SV.M3
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.F7XL
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Location: Southwark, London, SE5
Locality: Brunswick Park
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Listing Date: 30 June 1954
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470699
Source ID: 1378398
TQ3276 CAMBERWELL CHURCH STREET
636-1/11/126 (South side)
30/06/54 Church of St Giles
Church. 1842-44. By Scott & Moffat, architects. Coursed grey
Kentish regstone with white ashlar dressings; copper roof.
STYLE: Middle Pointed.
PLAN: cruciform plan with plate tracery and bold broached
spire rising over crossing between nave, long chancel and
EXTERIOR: nave with clerestory and lower aisles of 5 bays with
gabled entrance porches in 2nd bay from end on both sides.
Chancel of 3 bays. Windows to north and south are pointed
double lancets beneath a foil between stepped buttresses.
Stepped angle buttresses to outer corners. Heavily detailed
tower of 2 stages, the lower of blank arcading, the upper with
paired, 2-light bell openings. Octagonal spire above.
INTERIOR: has arch braced roof; lierne vault at crossing and
very high tower arches. Alternately round and octagonal piers
with foliated capitals to nave. In the chancel is retained the
C14 sedilia and piscina from the former church. South transept
as Lady Chapel, north as organ chamber.
STAINED GLASS: in the large east window by Ward & Nixon to
designs by Ruskin and Oldfield; in chancel remains by Lavers &
Barraud. Transepts have glass by Comper to replace 2 Morris
windows destroyed in War. West window by Ward & Nixon
incorporates some C13 pieces.
Undercroft of 5 barrel-vaulted brick aisles.
Church built to replace medieval church which was destroyed by
fire in 1841.
(Howell P: Victorian Churches: London: 1989-: 81).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings