History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New Peckham Mosque (Former Church of St Mark)

A Grade II Listed Building in East Walworth, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4844 / 51°29'4"N

Longitude: -0.0762 / 0°4'34"W

OS Eastings: 533678

OS Northings: 177920

OS Grid: TQ336779

Mapcode National: GBR WQ.11

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.MYLD

Entry Name: New Peckham Mosque (Former Church of St Mark)

Listing Date: 30 June 1954

Last Amended: 17 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378492

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470793

Location: Southwark, London, SE5

County: London

District: Southwark

Locality: East Walworth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Camberwell St Philip and St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Listing Text


SOUTHWARK

TQ3377 COBOURG ROAD
636-1/10/219 (East side)
30/06/54 New Peckham Mosque (former Church of
St Mark)
(Formerly Listed as:
COBOURG ROAD
(East side)
Church of St Mark)

II

Church, now mosque. 1879-80. By Norman Shaw, completed at west
end 1931-2 by Victor Heal. (Additions to east end of 1883 by
Shaw removed after bomb damage.)
MATERIALS: red brick with stone dressings; slate roofs,
steeply pitched over nave, hipped over aisles.
PLAN: a hall church with wide, double-aisled 3-bay nave,
chancel and short chancel aisles; some Perpendicular detail.
EXTERIOR: West end completed C20 with full height 1-bay
extension of nave (as Baptistry?) with wooden clock tower with
copper spike and larger, more elaborately traceried west
window; flat roofed, 1-storey entrance bays to either side.
Main body of church has tall, pointed windows with simple
Y-tracery and hoodmoulds.
INTERIOR: has timber groin-vaulted nave and aisles of equal
height. Freestanding octagonal brick piers and aisle walls
encased in (original) cement dado, moulded to resemble wood.
Chancel screen on dwarf stone wall is decorated within the
apex of the chancel arch with Perpendicular detail.


Listing NGR: TQ3367877920

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.