This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3907 / 51°23'26"N
Longitude: 0.5245 / 0°31'28"E
OS Eastings: 575742
OS Northings: 168766
OS Grid: TQ757687
Mapcode National: GBR PPP.MG3
Mapcode Global: VHJLV.19NQ
Entry Name: Former Storehouse Number 3 and Former Chain Cable Store
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378584
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476537
Location: Medway, ME4
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Gillingham St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 7568 NE CHATHAM ANCHOR WHARF,
(East side) Chatham Dockyard
Former Storehouse No.3
and Former Chain Cable Store
Warehouse. 1773-83. Brick with stone dressings and a slate hipped roof. PLAN: rectangular single-depth plan.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement, with attics in 3 sections; 3:13:5:13:3-window range. A symmetrical block has taller end and central sections, with ground-floor plat band, cornice and overhanging eaves, the middle block has the central 3-window section set forward. 3-storey sections have middle 3-bays set forward and hoist bays to middle of outer 5-bay sections with double doors and braced iron pivot hoists to the side of the top doors. Rubbed brick flat arches to 8/8-pane sashes and 4/8-pane second-floor sashes. End returns have single round-arched hoist bays with double doors and top 5-light lunette. A single storey lean-to for the Chain Cable store extends along the east side with former iron cannon used as piers and timber Y-braces. To the north end of this side is a mid/late C19 corrugated iron gabled roof, with bifurcated iron struts to trusses, which is linked to the west wall of the Ropery (qv).
INTERIOR: divided into a series of 3-bay timber frames, of very heavy scantling with tin-lined ceilings and double solid cast-iron panelled doors between firebreak walls, trap doors in front of hoist doors.
HISTORY: at nearly 700 feet this is the largest storehouse ever built in Britain, and with Storehouse No.2 (qv) and surviving examples at Portsmouth naval dockyard it is certainly one of the most significant examples of industrial warehousing in Europe. It was used for storing rigging, a pair with the identical warehouse to the N, and predates the large early C 19 warehouse stacks of the London docks. There were formally pediments to the centre of the lower sections. Built during the extensive late C18 rebuilding of the dockyard, and with the N warehouse and Ropery (qqv), part of a fine group of Georgian naval dockyard buildings.
(Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of Chatham Dockyard 1700-1850: London: 1982: 160 ; MacDougall P: The Chatham Dockyard Story: Rainham: 1987: 91 ; The Buildings of England: Newman J: West Kent and the Weald: London: 1976: 205 ; Dockland an illustrated historical survey of life and work: Tucker M: Warehouses in Docklands: London: 1986: 21-31).
Listing NGR: TQ7573868747
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings