History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parnell House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bloomsbury, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5173 / 51°31'2"N

Longitude: -0.1277 / 0°7'39"W

OS Eastings: 530005

OS Northings: 181476

OS Grid: TQ300814

Mapcode National: GBR HB.H8

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.Q4V6

Entry Name: Parnell House

Listing Date: 14 May 1974

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 478225

Location: Camden, London, WC1A

County: London

District: Camden

Locality: Bloomsbury

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Giles-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ2981SE STREATHAM STREET
798-1/104/1544 (North side)
14/05/74 Parnell House

II*

Block of artisans' flats. 1849. By Henry Roberts. For The
Society for Improving the Condition of the Labouring Classes.
Interiors replanned c1985. Yellow stock brick with rusticated
stucco 1st & 2nd floors, and stucco dressings. Fireproof
construction of brick load-bearing walls and arched
hollow-brick floors. L-shaped plan.
EXTERIOR: 5 storeys and basement (top storey added later). 6
bays and 12-window return to Dyott Street. Stucco doorway
surround with architrave, console-bracketed cornice and
pediment. Plain stucco band at 2nd floor level inscribed
"MODEL HOUSES FOR FAMILIES". Square-headed recessed sash
windows with stucco lintels in form of gauged flat arches;
ground and 1st floor windows in stucco recesses. Stucco sill
bands at 2nd and 4th floors, and stucco plinth. Bracketed
brick cornice. Open galleries in courtyard, supported by brick
piers which span 2 floors, give access to flats comprising
kitchen and scullery, living room and mostly with 2 bedrooms.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally known as Streatham Street
Buildings, they are the earliest surviving example of flats to
provide accommodation for the "deserving poor" in regular
employment. The second earliest survivor is New Court, Flask
Walk (qv).

Listing NGR: TQ3000581476

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.