This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5686 / 51°34'7"N
Longitude: -0.1497 / 0°8'59"W
OS Eastings: 528334
OS Northings: 187151
OS Grid: TQ283871
Mapcode National: GBR DT.WF9
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.CT6V
Entry Name: Mausoleum of Julius Beer in Highgate (Western) Cemetery
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378887
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478248
Location: Camden, London, N6
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Michael Highgate
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2887SW SWAIN'S LANE
798-1/5/1557 (West side)
14/05/74 Mausoleum of Julius Beer in Highgate
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGHGATE (WESTERN) CEMETERY
Mausoleum to Julius Beer)
Mausoleum situated above the Columbarium (qv). c1878. By John
Oldrid Scott, based on the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, one of
the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Stone. Square plan.
Channelled clasping pilasters support similarly rusticated
Diocletian windows with continuous hoodmoulds and antefixae,
from behind which rises a pyramidal roof, carved to appear as
tiled, with oculi and cross finial. Panels beneath windows
have Ionic pilasters. Architraved doorway with cornice and
inscription "Mausoleum of Julius Beer" in panel below; good
bronze gates by the Bromsgrove Guild.
INTERIOR: in Quattrocento style with marble carving by HH
Armstead. 2 sarcophagi; Beer's opposite entrance, with swagged
frieze, standing in front of a round-arched high relief panel
depicting an angel raising a winged child. The whole framed by
paired Corinthian columns, on pedestals, with enriched dentil
entablature. Lit by patterned stained glass windows.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Julius Beer made his fortune from the Stock
Exchange and owned The Observer newspaper. He died in 1880 but
had bought the plot and commissioned the architect in 1876.
Listing NGR: TQ2833487151
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings