This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.517 / 51°31'1"N
Longitude: -0.1226 / 0°7'21"W
OS Eastings: 530363
OS Northings: 181452
OS Grid: TQ303814
Mapcode National: GBR JB.MD
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.T4KF
Entry Name: Holborn Town Hall and Library
Location: Camden, London, WC2B
Locality: Holborn and Covent Garden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Listing Date: 15 January 1973
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478254
Source ID: 1378893
TQ3081SW HIGH HOLBORN
798-1/105/840 (South side)
15/01/73 Holborn Town Hall and Library
Town hall and library, now municipal offices. Library
(formerly St Giles's Library), 1894 by W Rushworth (eastern
wing); town hall, 1906-8 by Hall and Warwick (centre and
western wing). Ancaster and Portland stone faced. Steeply
pitched slated roof with pedimented dormers and pilastered
Dutch gables terminating in segmental pediments to end bays.
STYLE: the library with early French Renaissance detail, the
town hall in similar style but Baroque details.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys, basements and attics. Both buildings form
a symmetrical facade of 9 windows. End bays slightly
projecting. Eastern wing with entrance to former library of
elliptical arch flanked by Corinthian pilasters supporting an
entablature; enriched double doors. Former vehicle entrance to
left in similar style with wrought-iron gate by the Bromsgrove
Guild of Applied Art. Central 3-light oriel through 1st and
2nd floors. At 1st floor level a band of Renaissance
enrichment covering the oriel apron and having flanking oculi.
Upper floors pilastered, the 1st and 2nd floors with bands,
3rd floor with diapers. Western wing has round-arched entrance
to former town hall with moulded head and keystone flanked by
attached columns supporting an open segmental pediment with
carved coat of arms in tympanum with festoon and putti heads.
Central 3-light oriel through 1st and 2nd floors. A band of
similar enrichment at 1st floor level covering the oriel
apron. 3rd floor windows round-arched with moulded heads and
keystones. Central bays have round-arched windows at ground
floor level; 1st and 2nd floor, square-headed separated by
pilasters, the 1st floor with a wrought-iron balcony by the
Bromsgrove Guild; 3rd floor, 3 oculi linked by festoons. Most
windows transom and mullion.
INTERIOR: former town hall has large circular hall running up
through each floor and adjoining the main stair and lift. At
ground floor level main hall with floor of marble in a compass
design and arcade of Doric half columns supporting an
entablature under a shallow dome; oak double doors, with oculi
and brass plates incorporating a coat of arms, in Baroque
frames; 3 stained glass First and Second World War memorial
windows; original brass pendant light. Open well main stair of
artificial stone and granolithic paving with marble dado.
Original wrought-iron lift enclosure, in well of stair, by the
Bromsgrove Guild. Corridors mostly vaulted with granolithic
paving and oak doors. Interiors of note are: the rear 1st
floor Council Chamber of square plan surmounted by a central
dome with small cupola light. Walls panelled in Austrian oak
with Ionic pilasters and columns supporting an enriched
cornice. Windows of small, patterned, leaded panes. Original
brass pendant light. Beneath, on the ground floor, the former
Court Room, panelled and enriched in Baroque style.
Listing NGR: TQ3036381452
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings