This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5623 / 51°33'44"N
Longitude: -0.1896 / 0°11'22"W
OS Eastings: 525590
OS Northings: 186380
OS Grid: TQ255863
Mapcode National: GBR C5.BVM
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.NZNP
Entry Name: St Vedasts School for Boys, Sarum Chase
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379182
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478549
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Locality: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2586SE WEST HEATH ROAD
798-1/15/1710 (South side)
14/05/74 St Vedast's School for Boys, Sarum
(Formerly Listed as:
WEST HEATH ROAD
Private house, now a school. c1932. By Vyvyan Salisbury for
his uncle the painter and stained glass artist Frank
Salisbury; alterations, 1963. Brown brick with stone
dressings; range to left of entrance, black and white timber
framed. Hipped slated roofs with dormers, brick "Tudor"
chimneys and gargoyles.
EXTERIOR: mainly 2 storeys and attics. Irregular facade in
elaborate medieval pastiche. Asymmetrically set, projecting,
gabled entrance bay with ground floor projecting porch flanked
by curved walls, with mullion windows, forming a shallow
forecourt. Porch has a 4-centred arch entrance flanked by
small vertically set windows with hood moulds; double heavy
timber doors. Plaque over doorway inscribed "Strength, beauty
and valour". Above the porch, a tall transom and mullion oriel
window. To right at 1st floor level a gable with small oriel
having penthouse roof. To left, 2 timber-framed, gabled
dormers and a range of lights all with leaded diamond panes in
overhanging 1st floor; ground floor of this range with 8-light
projecting transom and mullion window. Left hand projecting
brick wing with full height 5-light oriel window and, to right
a single storey entrance range across the front of the
timber-framed bay and joining the curved forecourt wall;
4-centred arch entrance and transom and mullion windows. Some
stained glass in various windows.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: TQ2559086380
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings