This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9793 / 54°58'45"N
Longitude: -1.6198 / 1°37'11"W
OS Eastings: 424434
OS Northings: 565030
OS Grid: NZ244650
Mapcode National: GBR SNC.4J
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.23YM
Entry Name: Chapel at Royal Victoria Infirmary
Listing Date: 15 November 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379637
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479033
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2465 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE QUEEN VICTORIA ROAD
1833/13/10107 Chapel at Royal Victoria
Hospital chapel. 1900-05. Designed by Newcombe & Adams. Brick with stone dressings. Exterior now very largely hidden by later buildings. Single storey. Greek cross plan.
INTERIOR has wooden floor and faience tile walls and mosaic vaults. Square central space has round arched opening to each face flanked by single lower segmental arches with spandrel in each corner leading to central shallow dome covered in gold mosaic tiles and with 8 dormer windows. Each wing has triple arched arcades either side and above barrel vault with pale blue mosaic tiles. Altar in north wing raised on marble step, decorated wooden altar and wooden reredos behind with five painted panels on gold ground showing the holy family and the evangelists. Fine pulpit to left and similarly elaborate lectern to right. Stained glass windows. Modern wooden pews.
Listing NGR: NZ2443465030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings