Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6502 / 53°39'0"N
Longitude: -2.9966 / 2°59'47"W
OS Eastings: 334220
OS Northings: 417534
OS Grid: SD342175
Mapcode National: GBR 7VJ7.17
Mapcode Global: WH861.YJ62
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Location: Sefton, PR9
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Listing Date: 15 November 1972
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479098
Source ID: 1379697
SD3417NW MANCHESTER ROAD
664-1/10/131 (South West side)
15/11/72 Church of Holy Trinity
Church; the third on this site since 1837. 1895-1913, designed
by Huon Matear of Liverpool, built by Messrs. Woods of Bolton
(organ chamber, crypt and vestries 1895; nave and aisles 1903,
north transept 1909-11, west front and tower 1912-13). Glazed
red brick with dressings of Portland stone and some sandstone
(tower pinnacles renewed late C20 in fibreglass), slate roof.
STYLE: Free Perpendicular.
PLAN: nave with north-west tower, north and south aisles,
north transept, chancel with north chapel and south vestry.
EXTERIOR: the 4-stage tower, the lower half of brick with
stone bands and the upper of stone, with plain angle
buttresses carried up as pinnacles embracing the top stage,
has a crocketed west doorway protected by a gabled stone arch
with carving and a north doorway under a gabled stone arch
enriched with wheat ears; an elaborate third stage with a tall
moulded arch in each side containing a traceried and louvred
3-light window with attached clock-face, an open-work balcony
below carried on a segmental arch flying between the
buttresses, and a crocketed gablet above; octagonal top stage
with blind tracery, stepped parapet and short flying
buttresses to the pinnacles.
The west front of the nave has large octagonal corner turrets
linked by a flying 2-centred arch containing three 2-centred
arches, each with a tall recessed 2-light window; below these
windows a balustraded balcony on a pair of segmental arches
protecting 2 segmental-arched doorways; above it is a stepped
gable with blind arcading.
The south aisle has a gabled porch and 4 bays of 2-centred
arches each containing a large 4-light window with
Perpendicular tracery; the north aisle has 2 bays in matching
style, then the transept with coupled gables each with a
The 3-bay chancel has flying buttresses over the north chapel.
INTERIOR: very lofty 5-bay aisle arcades of octagonal columns
without caps, and 2-centred arches moulded in 3 orders; 2-bay
north transept with cylindrical column carrying longitudinal
and transverse arches forming 4 cells of wooden rib-vaulting;
large chancel arch containing a fine wooden rood screen with
integral pulpit; chancel with rib-vaulted roof. Organ case on
south side matching the screen, 2-bay north arcade filled with
elaborately traceried wooden and glazed screen; elaborately
carved and painted reredos triptych.
Stained glass includes good memorial window to Lieutenant Eric
Wood (killed Ypres 1916).
Listing NGR: SD3422017534
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.