This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0623 / 52°3'44"N
Longitude: -2.6307 / 2°37'50"W
OS Eastings: 356856
OS Northings: 240619
OS Grid: SO568406
Mapcode National: GBR FP.DB2D
Mapcode Global: VH85Q.CF3F
Entry Name: Convent of Our Lady of Charity
Listing Date: 11 October 1985
Last Amended: 18 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380240
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480018
Location: Bartestree, County of Herefordshire, HR1
County: County of Herefordshire
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Lugwardine with Bartestree
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 54 SE BARTESTREE
765/2/10007 Convent of Our Lady of
Convent. Founded 1863, with the first building by Edward Welby Pugin, additions of 1881, 1889 and 1895 by Chick. Gothic Revival style. Red brick building with tiled roof, polychrome brickwork and ashlar dressings. On a commanding site with main entrance elevation facing east. Includes the convent chapel and former great hall adjoining to west, forming an L-plan with the entrance elevation aligned north/south; the remaining later sections to west and north are not of special interest. The east elevation has a two storey domestic range to the right with the chapel to left of a forward projecting tower of two stages with a pyramidal roof. The domestic range has a string course, four single vertical glazing bar sash windows and gabled half-dormer to the left and a similar window to the right of the gabled section with a rose window in the gable and two single vertical glzing bar sash windows. The ground floor has a similar window of larger proportions with continuous and connecting lintels and a further decorative band connecting the cills, pointed-arch headed doorway with decorative lable and 2-light window to right of gabled section. The tower to the left of the domestic range echoes the string course and decorative bands, 2-light vents to bell-stage with polychrome heads, 2-light window to first stage echoing the window on the ground floor of the domestic range to the right of doorway, elaborate corbelling over the corner entrance to ground floor. Convent chapel to the left with corbel table, arcading above projecting lean-to walkway to the ground floor, plain 3-centred arched windows with rose window above in arches, apsidal end to chapel obscured to east elevation by the Chapel of St James projecting forward to the east, four windows with two cinquefoil headed lights and an elongated sexfoil.
Interior: The Convent chapel retains a fine contemporary reredos, now damaged (November 1999).
Listing NGR: SO5685640619
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings