This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8157 / 50°48'56"N
Longitude: -0.0774 / 0°4'38"W
OS Eastings: 535539
OS Northings: 103559
OS Grid: TQ355035
Mapcode National: GBR KQJ.Z3W
Mapcode Global: FRA B6QY.3PS
Entry Name: Church of St Wulfran
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 26 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380550
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480790
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN2
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Locality: Rottingdean Coastal
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Ovingdean St Wulfran
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ3503NE GREENWAYS, Ovingdean
577-1/52/989 (West side)
13/10/52 Church of St Wulfran
(Formerly Listed as:
St Wulfran's Church)
Anglican church. Chancel and nave early C12, tower late C13,
porch C19, restoration of the church 1867, south chapel 1907,
north-west vestry c1985. Flint with stone dressings; roof
chiefly of tiles, but that to the north side of the nave and
the north-west vestry of slate.
EXTERIOR: one round-arched lancet to east end and one each to
either side of chancel; the south-east chapel has a single
lancet in the east end and a blocked arch in its west end;
south side has two 2-light windows with cusped lancets either
side of the gabled porch which has a pointed chamfered arch;
the easternmost of these windows is set under a massive
relieving arch which, like the blocked arch in the south
chapel, is a relic of a former south aisle. The north side has
2 lancets and a blocked, round-arched doorway; the vestry has
3 round-arched lancets and a 4-light flat-arched window with
hoodmould to the west.
Tower of 2 stages; 2 lancets to the lower part of the second
stage, south and west, and 2 to upper part, south and north;
corbelled circular stack to south-east corner; pyramidal spire
INTERIOR: the chancel has aumbries either side of the altar,
low down; one low pointed-arched opening, and another higher
round-arched opening, both giving onto the south chapel in
addition to a pointed-arched entrance presumably of 1907; the
east end is painted with scenes of the Passion; crown-post
roof, the ceiling and timbers stencilled to designs by CE
Kempe, 1867; chancel arch rebuilt as one central round arch
with a lower round arch on either side 1865-7; rood figures
under a canopy in a late Gothic style by CE Kempe, 1907;
boarded ceiling to nave; pointed arch to tower; stained glass
in the nave and tower by CE Kempe.
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Typed
guide in the church).
Listing NGR: TQ3553803560
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings