History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Stanmer Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Hollingdean and Stanmer, The City of Brighton and Hove

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8703 / 50°52'13"N

Longitude: -0.1019 / 0°6'6"W

OS Eastings: 533655

OS Northings: 109580

OS Grid: TQ336095

Mapcode National: GBR KPX.C21

Mapcode Global: FRA B6PS.S5S

Entry Name: Stanmer Church

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN1

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Locality: Hollingdean and Stanmer

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Listing Date: 2 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 481279

Source ID: 1380955

Listing Text


BRIGHTON

TQ3309 STANMER PARK
577-1/9/1108 Stanmer Church
02/11/54

GV II

Anglican church, without a dedication. 1838. Flint with stone
dressings, roofs of slate, shingles to the spire. Chancel,
nave, north and south transepts, west tower and spire. In the
Early English style.
EXTERIOR: the east end has short gabled angle buttresses and
an east window of 3 stepped lancets. All other windows have
double chamfered reveals; those to the north and south sides
of the chancel have trefoiled heads; pointed-arched entrance
flanked by colonnettes to east side of south transept which
has, on its south face, 3 stepped lancets; 2 paired and one
single lancet to nave; west door in tower with double chamfer
and hoodmould with head-stops; the tower has angle buttresses
with 2 offsets; paired lancets to north and south with a
circular clock opening above; the belfry has lancets flanked
by colonnettes with hoodmoulds and head- and ballflower-stops;
embattled parapet jettied out on decorative corbels; recessed
octagonal spire.
INTERIOR: walls of stone. Chancel panelled to east end; stone
reredos with 3 trefoiled niches, the 2 outer niches decorated
with foliage ornament in relief; panelled roof to chancel with
moulded ribs and decorative bosses; chancel arch, and arches
to north and south transepts, multi-moulded; arcaded screen to
north transept; west organ gallery carried on slim
quatrefoiled cast-iron columns, the balustrade having blank
trefoiled arcading; panelled roof to nave, the trusses in the
form of shallow pointed arches with decorative arcading in the
spandrels. Monument in the north wall to Sir John Pelham, died
1550, removed from Stanmer House (qv): kneeling figures set
within an architrave and surmounted by the Pelham arms. Organ
of 1839, built as a mechanical organ by W Pilcher of London.

Listing NGR: TQ3365509580

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.