This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2852 / 52°17'6"N
Longitude: -1.713 / 1°42'46"W
OS Eastings: 419673
OS Northings: 265271
OS Grid: SP196652
Mapcode National: GBR 4KM.RQM
Mapcode Global: VHBXF.8T8H
Entry Name: Claverdon Hall and Attached Walls and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 6 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382089
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482454
Location: Claverdon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Claverdon St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP16NE LYE GREEN ROAD
1457-1/2/40 (East side)
06/02/52 Claverdon Hall and attached walls
and gate piers
House with attached walls with gate piers and gates. C16 with
later alterations and restorations, those of c1939 include
extension to right. C18 walls and gate piers with C20 gates.
MATERIALS: central recessed bay, stuccoed and plastered, is
flanked by timber-framed wings, with close-studding and small
timber-framing, and with brick nogging; wing to left has
ground floor of freestone, lias stone garden walls. Plain tile
roofs and brick stacks.
PLAN: H-shaped plan with ranges to rear, rebuilt range to rear
left has at end a massive external stack; single-storey
extension to right apparently incorporating former
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic, 5-window range. Central
entrance has glazed door with lead cames under hood. Entrance
is flanked by 2-light wood mullioned and transomed windows
with lead cames. 2 similar windows above. Wing to right has 2
similar windows to both floors, and a small 2-light wood
casement window in gable head with lead cames and crown glass.
Left wing has 2-light casement to ground floor under flat arch
with raised keystone, moulded first-floor band, 3-light
casement to first floor and small 2-light window high in gable
head with lead cames and crown glass.
Further main entrance to left return: part-glazed door under
wooden porch. Gabled roofs. Internal left stack and massive
right external stack.
INTERIOR: sitting room (to centre range) has beam with
ovolo-moulded chamfer and chamfered stops; ovolo-moulded
chamfer to bressumer beam. Massive internal studs and massive
chamfered beams, plank door to cellar, close-studding exposed
to left part.
Dining room to front left range has C17 panelling with carved
frieze, probably brought in c1930, with some C20 infill and
fireplace c1700-35 with fluted Doric pilasters and frieze with
triglyphs and metopes; massive chamfered tie-beam and rafters
with ogee stops; it is believed that beneath the panelling are
First floor: quite extensive close-studding with braces and
exposed small, square frames. Chamfered beams with ogee stops.
Rear right room has 2 jowled studs. Room to right has small
panelling, probably inserted c1939.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: garden walls abut house to left, low
walls to sides of garden and across front approx. 1m high with
pedestrian opening with piers and ball finials; walls joining
to left of garden walls are taller and have opening to yard
with piers surmounted by cornices and ball finials.
(Victoria County History: Styles P (ed): County of Warwick:
Barlichway Hundred: London: 1945-: 69-70).
Listing NGR: SP1967365271
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings