This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4502 / 53°27'0"N
Longitude: -1.9437 / 1°56'37"W
OS Eastings: 403838
OS Northings: 394830
OS Grid: SK038948
Mapcode National: GBR GXWJ.0X
Mapcode Global: WHB9T.3JQV
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 4 December 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384226
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484660
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Dinting
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Glossop All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0394 CHURCH STREET, Old Glossop
921-1/10/61 (North side)
04/12/58 Roman Catholic Church of All Saints
Roman Catholic church. 1836. By ME Hadfield & TG Weightman for
the 12th Duke of Norfolk. Millstone grit ashlar and Welsh
slate roof with deeply overhanging eaves which form pedimented
PLAN: nave and apsidal sanctuary set within rectangular plan
with vestries to rear over basement.
EXTERIOR: plinth and plain entablature. East, ritual west,
entrance front has rusticated ashlar facade with 4 giant
Tuscan Doric pilasters and central doorway with 6-panel double
doors and overlight in moulded ashlar surround with bracketed
hood. Either side single windows with 10-pane casements in
moulded ashlar surrounds with flat hoods. Above central
recessed panel flanked by single 16-pane sashes in recessed
plain surrounds. Above in pediment small circular window with
ashlar surround. Side elevations each have pairs of giant
Tuscan Doric pilasters at either end and 5 tall windows in
shouldered ashlar surrounds, those to west with glazing bar
West, ritual east front single giant Tuscan Doric pilasters at
either end and single small 16-pane sash to left. Above in
pediment small circular window with ashlar surround. Above
again large ashlar bellcote has single round arched opening
with bell, bracketed cornice and cross finial.
INTERIOR: nave has coved plaster ceiling and gallery with open
balustrade supported by large console brackets and reached
from steps in internal porch. Sanctuary with elliptical arch
flanked by doors to vestries has coved plaster ceiling.
Furnishings include open-backed nave benches and more
elaborate choir stalls with later sanctuary rails. Good set of
early C20 stained glass windows with central figures of saints
and martyrs in complex Renaissance surrounds.
Listing NGR: SK0383894830
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings