This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0808 / 51°4'50"N
Longitude: -4.0606 / 4°3'38"W
OS Eastings: 255756
OS Northings: 133294
OS Grid: SS557332
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DC4D
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.CW9
Entry Name: 74, High Street
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385163
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485625
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5533SE HIGH STREET
684-1/7/148 (West side)
House, now used as offices. Early or mid C17. Red brick in a
rough English bond with thick mortar joints, the front wall
being of timber-framing, jettied in the top storey; lower part
of ground storey in right-hand side wall (facing Holland Walk)
is of stone rubble, as is the left-hand side wall at the
front. Rear part of this wall, visible from No.75 (qv), was of
exposed brick in the upper storey, when first seen in 1967,
but has since been rendered. The jettied front now has
slatehanging in the 2nd storey with another panel of it in the
middle of the right-hand side wall, this added when building
restored in 1971. Slated roofs, the front roof parallel to
street, the rear roof at right-angles. 2 large brick
chimney-stacks in right-hand side wall each with a pair of
diagonally set shafts on top. In 1967 the rear part of the
left hand side wall had a similar stack with only one shaft;
it is not known if this still exists.
Plan is one room wide and 2 rooms deep with stair compartment
(for C19 stair) in the middle. A peculiarity is that the stair
compartment and rear room are wider, projecting slightly into
the back of the plot to No.75 (qv).
3 storeys, 1-window range; this was wholly reconstructed in
1971, except for the side walls. Shop in ground storey with
part roof over, canted by a window in 2nd storey, 2 casement
windows of 2 lights each in 3rd storey. The upper storey
windows roughly resemble the C19 ones that were there in 1967,
except that sashes have been replaced by casements.
The timber-framing removed dated from C19, although there were
ovolo-moulded uprights in the 2nd storey, probably belonging
to an oriel window; these may still be in position, plastered
in. 3rd-storey jetty is supported on the right by a concrete
corbel; it replaced one described as `a sham fabricated out of
pieces of wood'. On the left is a large stone corbel composed
of 2 sandstone and 1 limestone blocks, all 3 ovolo-moulded.
The walling above it was rebuilt in 1971.
Front to Holland Walk is dominated by the 2 large chimneys;
upper-storey windows and display window in ground storey are
all of 1971.
INTERIOR: has old floor and roof timbers; fireplaces with
plain wood lintels.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the title deeds extend back to 1674. No.74
was `the landes of William Sallisbury and Nicholas Cutlief' in
1617, and in 1674 it was sold by Elizabeth and Mary Stephens,
spinsters, to Thomas Harris of Barnstaple, tanner. The actual
occupant in 1674 was their tenant, William Bond, who was
succeeded later in the C17 by William Allen. By 1773 it was
known as the Three Cupps. The building is important as a rare
example of early brickwork in Devon; the mixture of brick and
jettied timber-framing is particularly remarkable and may be
unique on the western side of England.
Listing NGR: SS5575633294
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings