This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5046 / 51°30'16"N
Longitude: -0.0944 / 0°5'39"W
OS Eastings: 532357
OS Northings: 180133
OS Grid: TQ323801
Mapcode National: GBR QG.YS
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.9FZW
Entry Name: 51 and 53, Southwark Street
Listing Date: 16 April 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385925
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471345
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Saviour with All Hallows Southwark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3280 SOUTHWARK STREET
636-1/2/710 (South side)
16/04/96 Nos.51 AND 53
Warehouse. 1865-1874. Stock brick with stone dressings. Roof
hidden behind brick and stone bracketed cornice. Rectangular
plan with curved corners to returns.
EXTERIOR: 5 storeys, 8-window range, tripartite windows to
corners except for top floor where they are quadripartite.
3-window ranges to returns, the centre of each a hoist bay.
Most openings are segmental-arched, doubled and round to top
floor; side lights to tripartite corner windows are also
round-arched. Many windows retain their original sashes: 1x1
to top floor, 3x3 to 2nd and 3rd floors, and 6x6 to 1st floor.
Some 2nd-floor sashes are missing. Ground-floor windows were
boarded over at time of survey.
The ground floor has a stone cornice supported by rusticated
brick piers with stone capitals. The side entrance on the
curved east corner has a segmental keyed head and round-arched
windows to either side. The centrally placed entrance on the
main elevation has 2 doorways with segmental heads; they are
flanked by Peterhead granite colonnettes with Corinthian
capitals. All three 6-panel doors under segmental fanlights
Lower brick structure to the rear with segmental-arched
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Tender mentioned in the "Builder" of 1865, but the structure
does not appear to have been occupied until 1874. Forms a
group with No.49 (qv).
Listing NGR: TQ3235780133
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings