History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Black Friar Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ordsall, Salford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4865 / 53°29'11"N

Longitude: -2.2535 / 2°15'12"W

OS Eastings: 383277

OS Northings: 398897

OS Grid: SJ832988

Mapcode National: GBR DGF.R5

Mapcode Global: WHB9G.CM4J

Entry Name: Black Friar Public House

Location: Salford, M3

County: Salford

Locality: Ordsall

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Listing Date: 15 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471505

Source ID: 1386081

Listing Text


SALFORD

SJ89NW BLACKFRIARS ROAD
949-1/4/118 (South West side)
15/04/94 Black Friar Public House

II

Public house. Dated 1886 on left side; by William Ball of
Manchester. Red brick with red sandstone dressings and some
tile-hanging, slate roof. Vernacular Revival style. Modified
L-plan.
EXTERIOR: 2-and-a-half storeys over cellars, 3 bays, the first
and third gabled; chamfered plinth, 3 string courses,
steeply-pitched gables with oversailing verges, the upper
parts tile-hung with small pentices over the attic windows,
Ground floor has a broad lintel band to the first and second
bays, each of which has an entrance with moulded surround,
flattened ogee head, that in the second bay with a swan-necked
pediment over. The first bay has one window to the left, the
second bay has 2, and the third bay has a tripartite window,
all sashed. At first floor the second bay has a canted oriel
of stone with mullions and transom, and a band on the corbel
with the words: "YOU MAY GO FURTHER AND FARE WORSE"; the first
and third bays have tripartite windows, each with an extrados
of red brick and carved stone tympanum, that to the left
depicting a friar displaying a banner with the words "THE
BLACK FRIAR" and that to the right including a shield with
corn sheaves and bees, lettered below "BLACKFRIARS" "OLD
SCHOOL". The gables of the outer bays have 3-light mullioned
windows; the centre has a flat-roofed 4-light dormer. Left
return wall has a tall chimney corbelled from first floor and
breaking the eaves, with a stone plaque at its base inscribed
"Rebuilt AD 1886".
INTERIOR: some original fittings and plan elements. Entrance
lobby with door to left to vault, ahead door with cut and
etched glass. Hall has altered curved bar and a Jacobean style
stair. Parlour has 2 altered lobby screens, fixed upholstered
seating, bell pushes and fireplace, vault has simple fixed
upholstered seating and a modern opening to remodelled area to
rear.

Listing NGR: SJ8327798897

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.