This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4848 / 51°29'5"N
Longitude: 0.1564 / 0°9'23"E
OS Eastings: 549823
OS Northings: 178412
OS Grid: TQ498784
Mapcode National: GBR RX.248
Mapcode Global: VHHNL.NYJ3
Entry Name: Bexley College (Former Erith Technical Institute) Including Attached Walls Railings and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 23 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387547
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475520
Location: Bexley, London, DA17
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Belvedere All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 47 NE ERITH ROAD
959/2/10014 Bexley College (Former Erith
Technical Institute) including
Attached walls, railings and
Built as technical institute and secondary school, later college of technology and includes attached wall with railings, gatepiers and gates. Built in 1906 by W Egerton, probably the council architect, in Queen Anne style. Built of red brick with cream tile and terracotta decoration and slate roof with brick and tiled chimneystacks and central copper and wooden cupola. Two or three storeys; 11 windows to front elevation along Holly Hill Road, 9 windows to northern elevation along Erith Road and 8 windows to southern elevation. Windows are sashes, mainly three tier vertical sashes. Front has recessed centre of 7 bays and two projecting ends with two bays. Centre has first floor segmental-headed arched windows lighting central hall and single storey wing in front with floral terracotta frieze and central doorcase with curved hood bearing the date 1906. This is approached up a double staircase with terracotta balusters and cast iron light fittings. Attached to the front is low red brick walling with cast iron panels with red brick piers with stone caps, and cast iron gates between. The wall and panels are stepped along Upper Holly hill Road and part of Erith Road because of the change in levels. The left side gabled wing has three storeys (the additional one a basement because of the sloping site. There are two windows per floor. The side elevation has two truncated gables with windows of Venetian type to top floor, 8 windows below and original windows to ground floor level although two later C20 doors have been inserted into original openings. The right side gabled wing has a tablet on the gable inscribed "Erith Technical Institute and Secondary School" and two windows on the ground floor. The front to Erith Road has nine windows on the ground floor. The first floor has two large windows, designed to house the art departments, retaining original glazing bars of 9 large panes to each window, each topped by a gable containing elaborate moulded tiled decoration. There are two small windows between and one to the right. The rear elevation is of stock brick with red brick dressings, includes two gables and retains original windows. Interior has full-height central hall with original roof of hammerbeam type, balcony on three sides and two staircases to the rear of the wings.
Listing NGR: TQ4982378412
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings