This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8968 / 50°53'48"N
Longitude: -1.3942 / 1°23'39"W
OS Eastings: 442698
OS Northings: 110989
OS Grid: SU426109
Mapcode National: GBR RS2.0M
Mapcode Global: FRA 76ZQ.SRC
Entry Name: Canute Chambers
Listing Date: 29 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387770
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475762
Location: Southampton, SO14
County: City of Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 4210 SOUTHAMPTON CANUTE ROAD
983/5/10032 Canute Chambers
Offices of shipping company. Built in 1893 for the American Line. Flemish bond red brick with Portland stone dressings. Clay plain tile roof, gabled and half-hipped. Brick axial stacks. PLAN: Rectangular on plan, cross-gabled to right [W] and with central entrance. Queen Anne/Dutch Renaissance style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical north front with large 2-bay Dutch gable on right in five stages with semi-circular pediment, datestone 1893, cornices, blind arcading and first and second floor windows with moulded brick architraves with keystones and cornices; stone frieze below second floor windows inscribed Canute Chambers. Large ground floor windows have cambered arches with keystones and frames within with cornices, the left window retaining its sashes with pilasters; large canted bay window to left of centre with modillion cornice and central porch with scrolled pediment, arcaded overlight and double doors with scrolled pediments to centre panels. Lower eaves on left with dormers above with
semi-circular pediments. Similar, but simpler, rear [S] elevation. INTERIOR not inspected. NOTE: Canute Chambers was built for the American Line. In 1907 it was occupied by the Great White Star Line, and in 1931 it was taken over by the United States Line, which occupied the offices until 1969.
Listing NGR: SU4267711030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings