This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5994 / 53°35'57"N
Longitude: -2.4247 / 2°25'28"W
OS Eastings: 371989
OS Northings: 411506
OS Grid: SD719115
Mapcode National: GBR CVHT.VG
Mapcode Global: WH97N.QSKJ
Entry Name: Watermillock
Location: Bolton, BL1
Locality: Astley Bridge
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Listing Date: 4 August 1989
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475989
Source ID: 1387993
SD71SW CROMPTON WAY
797-1/2/77 (North side (off))
Gentleman's country house, now public house and restaurant.
1880-6. Designed by JJ Bradshaw and John Gass of Bolton and
Manchester for Herbert and Thomas Thwaites (successive heads
of Eden and Thwaites, bleachers); decoration and furnishings
by Messrs. Goodall and Co. of Manchester. Yorkshire coursed
rubble and York stone dressings; Welsh slate roof.
EXTERIOR AND PLAN: entrance front faces south-east, porch
gives on to large hall with open Gothic arcade of 3 bays
standing forward of Imperial stair top lit by large lantern;
hall flanked by dining room to right with smoking room to
rear, and drawing room to left with breakfast room to rear.
Corridor to rear of hall leads via a garden entrance vestibule
to large and elaborate billiards room that stands almost
detached from the house to the north-west.
Services to north-east with a rear single-storey range
including stables, outbuildings and coachman's cottage. All
elevations asymmetrical and varied. 2 storeys with attic.
The house is approached from the south-west and the south-west
and entrance fronts are the most imaginatively treated. Tudor
Gothic style, the windows all flat-headed with transoms
containing plate glass.
On the entrance front, 3 wings, that to the left hipped with
2-light dormer and 4-light window to each floor; 2 paired
gables to right each with a large window; off-centre porch
with offset buttresses, parapet with griffins as corner
pinnacles and large pointed arched entrance, 3-light windows
above. Storey canted 1:3:1 bay to right with parapet.
South-west (left) front, 3 wings similarly disposed to
entrance front, hipped to left, that to the centre with storey
canted bay and pointed window to gable wall; the right bay is
dominated by massive external stack with curved sides and
parapet below shaped shaft, single light windows to each side.
To the extreme left, standing well foward and linked to the
house by a low corridor containing garden entrance, the
single-storey billiards room under hipped roof with glazed
lantern and very tall ridge stack; gabled centre projection, 2
and 3-light windows.
North-east front, asymmetrical with one large external stack
to dining room, gabled wing and another projection under
catslide; 1 and 2-light windows.
To the rear (and parallel to billiards room) picturesque
single storey service range under hipped roof with double
gable over tall 2-light windows to centre; tall ridge stacks
INTERIOR: well preserved hall with arched recess and pointed
arched partition with clustered marble shafts at foot of
Imperial stairs with oak turned balusters and carved panels
and knotchboard. Similar arcaded partition to landing; lantern
with coving and ornamental leaded glazing.
Most ground-floor rooms contain good features: notable are the
fireplace with de Morgan tiles and wooden surround and
overmantle to dining room, the elaborate inglenook to drawing
room, the fitted cupboards, coving and overmantle to breakfast
room, and the plaster and pitch-pine panelled ceilings; the
billiard room (illustrated in Franklin) has a queen post roof
supporting a central lantern with decorative painted glazing
to side panels, 3-bay marbled arched to dais at north end
(originally intended to contain an organ), pine dado, coved
recess and Jacobethan fire surround - very elaborate but
typical of a well-appointed gentleman's house of this period.
(Franklin J: The Gentleman's Country House and the Plan,
1835-1914: 1981-: 57; 269; The British Architect: 1889-: 163;
Bolton Journal (Pictorial Bolton Series, CXLII): 1887-).
Listing NGR: SD7198911506
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings