History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trow Pool Water Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Bucknell, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9191 / 51°55'8"N

Longitude: -1.2037 / 1°12'13"W

OS Eastings: 454860

OS Northings: 224803

OS Grid: SP548248

Mapcode National: GBR 8X2.NGM

Mapcode Global: VHCX3.21Z5

Entry Name: Trow Pool Water Tower

Listing Date: 22 August 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1389392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488051

Location: Bucknell, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX25

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Parish: Bucknell

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bucknell

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Listing Text

BICESTER

1713/0/10030 BUCKNELL
22-AUG-01 Trow Pool Water Tower

II

Water Tower. 1909. Local stone rubble with concrete cap, metal platform and tiled roof.
PLAN: Square plan with flared base to each side and corner. Ground level entrance at one face to hollow centre. Upper level for lead tank. Projecting metal platform wraps around at upper level.
FA?ADE: Arcaded with one large arch (with keystone, voussoirs and banding) to each face springing from impost that also defines the corner piers flared to base. Two opposite sides: arch is blind with ledge at bottom. '1909' stone date plaque and crest to one blind arch. Other two opposite sides: arch is open to hollow centre with base of arch as slightly recessed wall capped with rough stones. Ground level opening (same detail as large arches) to hollow centre at one face. Above the arches is a wrap-around projecting metal platform supported by 4 brackets to each face, concrete section and hipped roof with flat cap.
INTERIOR: One open room at ground level. Upper level for water tank.
HISTORY: Built by Major Philip Hunloke to serve the estate Bucknell Manor and the village of Bucknell and used until the 1950s when mains water installed.


Listing NGR: SP5544026119

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.