This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4849 / 51°29'5"N
Longitude: -0.3221 / 0°19'19"W
OS Eastings: 516603
OS Northings: 177555
OS Grid: TQ166775
Mapcode National: GBR 74.1H6
Mapcode Global: VHGQW.CYL1
Entry Name: Central Gates, Gate Piers and Railings to the Former Firestone Factory
Listing Date: 23 October 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389664
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488371
Location: Hounslow, London, TW8
Locality: Osterley and Spring Grove
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Francis of Assisi Isleworth
Church of England Diocese: London
787/0/10122 GREAT WEST ROAD
Central gates, gate piers and railings
to the Former Firestone Factory
Central gates, gate piers and railngs to the former Firestone Factory. 1928 by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. Reinforced concrete, cast iron railings and lanterns. The former central pedestrian entrance to the Firestone Factory, comprising a pair of outer piers, two runs of original railings; a pair of gate piers with double gates; two plinths supporting lanterns either side of a flight of shallow steps; and a pair of lower piers at the top of the stairs. The piers are designed in a highly characteristic Jazz Modern idiom: they are pylon-shaped, with staggered keystone motifs to the tops and fluting to the upper friezes. The lantern plinths have similar profiles, but also include central sections with scrolled ornament. The railings are Egyptian in style, with square rails with blunt terminals. The gates are similar in style, with central circular bosses with shields containing the letter 'F', supported on X-motifs. The lanterns behind have square bases, with winged 'F's to each face, set between wings; the tapering standards are circular in section, and reeded; the distinctive lanterns on top have chevron ornament to each face, and gilt ribs to each angle. The other stretches of railings and piers have been compromised by the loss of the original railings and are not included within this list description. HISTORY: this was the central pedestrian entrance to the now-demolished Firestone Factory, designed by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners in 1928 and celebrated as one of the finest interwar factories; it was demolished in 1980 on the eve of being decreed a listed building. The factory embodied the industrial expansion of interwar London; the rise of arterial roads with factories built on them; the development of the automotive industry, following the growth of road transport; and the strongly Modernistic architectural flavour that these factories were given. Wallis, Gilbert were the leading architects of such Jazz Age buildings.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings