History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Holy Trinity Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Ebernoe, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0415 / 51°2'29"N

Longitude: -0.6099 / 0°36'35"W

OS Eastings: 497550

OS Northings: 127824

OS Grid: SU975278

Mapcode National: GBR FFT.NLX

Mapcode Global: FRA 96MC.D6Y

Entry Name: Holy Trinity Church

Location: Ebernoe, Chichester, West Sussex, GU28

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Parish: Ebernoe

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Listing Date: 31 January 2002

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488424

Source ID: 1389697

Listing Text

KIRDFORD

427/0/10021 EBERNOE
31-JAN-02 Holy Trinity Church

II

Church. Designed in 1867 by Habershon and Brock on a site given by Mr Peachey of Ebernoe House. Gothic style. Built of red brick with polychrome decoration in yellow and black brick, Wealden sandstone dressings, tiled roof and timber framed porch. Four bay nave with bellcote to west end, south porch, two bay lower chancel and north east vestry.
EXTERIOR: Nave has four double lancets divided by triangular buttresses. West end has projecting central window with trefoil with quatrefoil above and gabled bellcote flanked by single lancets. South porch has brick and stone base but timber framed superstructure gabled tiled roof. Lower chancel has two pointed windows and traceried east window. Gabled vestry with two cambered headed windows and chimneystack.
INTERIOR: Arched braced roof to nave with boarding, barrel-vaulted roof to chancel, chancel arch on brackets with stencilled text, font, pews,1914 stained glass to east and west windows, tiled floor and house organ of c1920.
HISTORY: Mr Peachey of Ebernoe House endowed the land and a right of way because the church at Kirdford was too distant. The building cost £1200 to build.

[ Pevsner "Buildings of England: Sussex" p217. ]

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.