Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5598 / 53°33'35"N
Longitude: -2.4074 / 2°24'26"W
OS Eastings: 373111
OS Northings: 407102
OS Grid: SD731071
Mapcode National: GBR CWM8.LM
Mapcode Global: WH97V.ZSSB
Entry Name: Church of St Michael with St Bartholomew
Location: Bolton, BL3
Locality: Great Lever
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Listing Date: 9 May 2003
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490371
Source ID: 1390492
1664/0/10022 MANCHESTER ROAD
09-MAY-03 Great Lever
Church of St Michael with St Bartholomew
Church. 1851. By Dickson and Breakspear. Rock-faced ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate roofs in alternating bands of plain and fishscale. Coped gables and finials. Early English style with buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs and corbel table to eaves. Chancel, north vestry, nave and north and south porches. East end has triple lancet window with shafts. 3 lancets to either side of chancel. North vestry has gabled doorway and chimney turret. Nave has small trefoil window high in east gable and paired or single lancets to sides. Similar north and south porches have doorways with shafts with carved capitals. West end has a pair of lancets with shafts and a lower lancet to either side. Small cinquefoil window in gable which is surmounted by an elaborate bellcote with shafting and 2-light window frame displaying the bells.
INTERIOR. Chancel fittings include carved reredos and altar front, and communion rails. Structural pulpit in nave/chancel angle reached from stair from chancel. Set of pews in nave including unusual choir stalls in west end. Roofs are of archbraces rising from corbels. Stained glass includes east and west windows.
A small elaborately detailed church retaining many fittings including west choir stalls and structural pulpit.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.