This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0134 / 53°0'48"N
Longitude: -1.4822 / 1°28'55"W
OS Eastings: 434838
OS Northings: 346359
OS Grid: SK348463
Mapcode National: GBR 6CW.42M
Mapcode Global: WHDGF.6JG6
Entry Name: 20, 22 & 24, Derby Road
Listing Date: 12 November 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390601
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490586
Location: Belper, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE56
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Belper
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Belper St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Derby
950/0/10013 DERBY ROAD
Set of three cottages, the central one a former toll house. c.1800. For the industrialist Jedediah Strutt. Coursed squared stone with plain tile roof and two massive brick ridge stacks. 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical front facing the road with central projecting gable. Sash or C20 windows under flat arch heads. Left-hand cottage has central door with window to left and a window on both floors to right. Central cottage in the projecting gable has door in the left return, a window on each floor and in attic to the front, and a window on the right return. Right-hand cottage has central door, a window on both floors to left and a window to right. Each gable end has an attic window. Rear has various doors, windows and extensions.
INTERIOR. Central cottage has exposed rafters, a winder stair, a c.1800 fireplace and plank doors.
HISTORY. In 1793 Jedediah Strutt obtained an Act of Parliament to allow him to construct a private toll road to service his cotton mills and associated activities in Milford and Belper. A Strutt estate map of 1806 shows these cottages with the same ground-plan next to a toll bar across this 'Messrs. Strutts New Road'. This little-altered set of cottages, standing within the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site, is a significant survival of one of the most important early industrial sites in the country.
Other nearby listed buildings