This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0582 / 52°3'29"N
Longitude: 0.8358 / 0°50'8"E
OS Eastings: 594509
OS Northings: 243775
OS Grid: TL945437
Mapcode National: GBR RJM.VJB
Mapcode Global: VHKF5.FJQJ
Entry Name: Quicks Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 March 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391365
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490837
Location: Edwardstone, Babergh, Suffolk, CO10
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Edwardstone St Mary the Vigin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
966/0/10043 ROUND MAPLE
21-MAR-05 Quicks Farmhouse
Farmhouse, now house. Earlier C17, with later alterations including those dated 1859. Late C20 restoration. Timber-framed with red brick front, gable ends and part of rear wing, rest plastered and colourwashed. C20 pantile roof with brick right ridge and rear wing stacks. Unusual 3-unit, probably lobby-entry, plan of central hall with parlours to left and right and wing to rear left. 2 storeys. 5-window range at first floor to main front facing garden. Three 3-light wooden mullion and transom windows with 2 small single-lights in between. Central part-glazed door below, with a 3-light casement either side. Right gable end has part-glazed door in outshut and 4-light casement with 2-light over. Left gable end, which has earlier brickwork as well as mid C19, has 3-light casement with two 2-lights over and part-glazed door and 3-light casement to rear wing. Rear has outshut and, in wall above, a square plaque inscribed 'REPAIRD 1859 Z-T T-G', as well as windows and another door.
INTERIOR. Elements of tall panel framing survive with bridging beams with lamb's tongue (or ogee) stops and ceiling joists. The plan form survives with the central hall and parlour (now kitchen) to right having back-to-back open fireplaces in a probably C18 or early C19 large stack (which probably had original lobby-entry to front). The central hall has an original doorway to rear. The large reception room to left has an open fireplace to rear (renewed bressumer) and behind this a further large fireplace with bread oven was built on in the C19. This room, the present dining room, was originally open to the roof but was ceiled in probably the late C17 and retains wide floor boards in the room above where also can be seen the framing of the gable end. The large C17 stack and hood remain and this rear wing has a 2-bay clasped purlin roof with windbraces. The possibly original stair survives to the side of this stack.
The upper part of the front range was modified, probably in 1859, when the front wall was covered in brick (the wall is wide suggesting some timber framing may survive in the wall) and the roof was raised. There survive 2 fireplaces with cast-iron grates in the bedrooms. In the rear outshut roof-space can be seen small areas of an unusual survival of the original unwhitewashed or stained external finishes of the rear wall of the C17 structure. Panels of lime plaster between exposed studs and adjacent slightly later comb-pattern pargeting. Various 2, 4 and 6-panel doors survive.
Although the original early C17 structure of this house has been modified, mostly in 1859, sufficient of the original remains and this was of an unusual plan form in itself: two heated parlours suggesting an extended family. Internal features of C17-C19 survive including the unusual panels of the original external finishes, and the whole is a good example of an evolved farmhouse.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings