This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4283 / 51°25'41"N
Longitude: -0.1315 / 0°7'53"W
OS Eastings: 529997
OS Northings: 171576
OS Grid: TQ299715
Mapcode National: GBR FY.MKH
Mapcode Global: VHGRC.NCVF
Entry Name: Dyce Drinking Fountain
Listing Date: 5 October 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391393
English Heritage Legacy ID: 493853
Location: Lambeth, London, SW16
Locality: St Leonard's
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Streatham St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
963/0/10166 STREATHAM GREEN
05-OCT-05 Dyce Drinking Fountain
Drinking fountain. 1862. William Dyce R.A. (1806-1864). Alternating bands of Portland stone and red sandstone, with mouldings in Portland stone and a marble basin. Steeply pitched gabled pediment flanked by gabled end piers.
The moulding on the pediment includes a band of five-petalled floral ornaments. In the centre of the pediment is a circle divided by four arcs, in the middle of which is an eight-petalled stylised flower inlaid with coloured hard-stone. Beneath the circle is an arched band with gothic script in relief reading, 'For I will pour water on him that is thirsty'. Beneath this band is a trefoil headed arch, the recess of which is inlaid with a green glazed tile mosaic, with a metal cross and water spout in the centre. Semi-circular bowl made of marble, with scalloped base, supported on a half-octagonal, panelled pedestal on a half-octagonal base. Oblong slab of granite in front of the fountain used as a step to reach the bowl.
The rear of the fountain is relatively plain, with alternating bands of Portland stone and red sandstone, with a central stone block with chamfered edges, which contains the mechanics of the fountain. The upper most section of this block is inscribed:
BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION
The names beneath this are quite eroded, but read:
The Rev J.R. Nicoll, M.A. Rector
W. Dyce R.A. } churchwardens
A band with four-petalled floral decoration runs beneath the pediment, with a stylised circular rose design beneath.
HISTORY: The Dyce fountain was erected in 1862 to the designs of William Dyce, at the expense of local parishioners in thanks for the works he had undertaken on the new chancel at St Leonard's Church, Streatham. William Dyce was one of the most important painters of mid C19 England. He was also a devout Anglo-Catholic and proponent of the Gothic Revival movement. Dyce's best known works were Titian's First Essay in Colour (1857), Pegwell Bay (1860) and George Herbert at Bemerton (1861).
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The Dyce drinking fountain, Streatham Green is an attractive piece of street furniture designed in the Gothic Revival style, which has the added interest of having been designed by and in gratitude to the important Victorian artist William Dyce, for his work on the nearby St Leonard's Church. The interest of this structure is further heightened by the fact that Dyce was a resident of Streatham and church warden of St Leonard's in whose graveyard he is buried.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings