This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2576 / 51°15'27"N
Longitude: -0.3153 / 0°18'54"W
OS Eastings: 517656
OS Northings: 152291
OS Grid: TQ176522
Mapcode National: GBR HGB.53S
Mapcode Global: VHGS1.HN57
Entry Name: The Broadwood Folly at Juniper Hall
Listing Date: 14 December 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1391454
English Heritage Legacy ID: 494323
Location: Mickleham, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Mickleham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
850/0/10040 LONDON ROAD
The Broadwood Folly at Juniper Hall
Landscape garden feature. Built circa 1815. Architect unknown.
EXTERIOR: The Broadwood Folly is a circular tower constructed of regular courses of flint, standing about 8m high, with a decorative machicolated course at parapet level. There is a door on its east side, now roughly blocked with flint, and another blocked narrower entrance to the north. At ground level to the south west is a small window opening, and there are four more openings, two large and two small, at the upper level.
INTERIOR: rendered or plastered. The settings for the steps of a spiral stair can be seen rising to the top of the tower: there seem to have been two floors, one about 2.5m above the ground and a second at parapet level. A tree, a holme oak, now grows through the centre of the tower, its leafy crown hanging over the top.
HISTORY: The Folly was built on Lodge Hill by Thomas Broadwood, a member of the well-known piano manufacturing family, sometime after he purchased Juniper Hall in 1815. Headley and Meulenkamp state that the tower was built as a Waterloo memorial. From the tower to the north through an avenue of beeches was a vista of Juniper Hall: the vista remains, and although the beeches were lost in the gale of 1987, the avenue is now being restored (2005).
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Listed as a substantially complete late-Georgian landscape feature which retains its context as an Eye-catcher within the estate of Juniper Hall.
Headley, G and Meulenkamp, W. 1986 Follies: A National Trust Guide.
Juniper Hall Field Centre: A Brief History of the House and Centre. Leaflet, Juniper Hall Field Centre.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings