This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8067 / 50°48'24"N
Longitude: -0.4791 / 0°28'44"W
OS Eastings: 507257
OS Northings: 101895
OS Grid: TQ072018
Mapcode National: GBR GL6.CNL
Mapcode Global: FRA 96WY.WP6
Entry Name: Manor Road Garage (Including Four Forecourt Petrol Pumps)
Location: East Preston, Arun, West Sussex, BN16
County: West Sussex
Parish: East Preston
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Listing Date: 16 November 2007
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 494854
Source ID: 1392321
231/0/10080 MANOR ROAD
16-NOV-07 Manor Road Garage (including four fore
court petrol pumps)
Former motor garage. The central part of the workshop probably dates from 1919 extended in 1930 to the north by the firm of Boulton and Paul. The south frontage was added circa 1934 in Moderne style, the architect not at present known. The four forecourt petrol pumps are of late 1940s or early 1950s date.
MATERIALS: Frontage of brick, render and concrete. Rear part partly brick but mainly a light steel or iron frame covered in corrugated iron or corrugated asbestos.
PLAN: Showroom frontage to south with four petrol pumps to forecourt and repairs garage to north.
EXTERIOR: The south frontage is in Moderne style, almost symmetrical, of rendered brickwork and concrete with brick coping to the flat roof. The windows are boarded over to both exterior and interior but are thought to retain the original metal windows with horizontal glazing. The central section is of two storeys with two small rectangular windows on the first floor and a central concrete bracket which originally supported a flagpole. The corners are curved with wraparound windows to the ground floor. Attached to the centre are metal letters reading "MANOR ROAD GARAGE". The centre is flanked by set-back sections at the same height which had wooden garage doors to the ground floor, only the east one surviving. The west one now has two small windows within the original opening. There are lower projecting wings with recessed bands to the parapet, the western narrower and incorporating two doorcases and a large showroom window, the eastern side a larger curved showroom window. The forecourt contains four 1940s or early 1950s Shell brand petrol pumps connected by a concrete plinth. The rectangular structures with dials are complete but the globes are missing. The other side of the frontage building is of yellow brick in English bond but the east and west sides of the central south workshop are of painted red brick with pilasters and multipane metal casements with central openings. Attached to this are metal-framed workshops with walls and roofs covered in corrugated iron or corrugated asbestos.
INTERIOR: The central section of the northern workshop has a light steel roof of kingpost type. The side sections have iron girders attached to the brick walls and are toplit. A simple wooden open staircase gives access to the upper storey of the frontage building.
HISTORY: On the 22nd May 1930 an application was submitted by an F H Songhurst (the owner or architect) for an extension to Manor Road Garage. The builders were Boulton and Paul of Norwich, a firm of note who also had a tradition of supplying prefabricated buildings and motor houses, publishing a catalogue of the latter. On 22nd January 1934 an application was submitted by a Mr E R Peacock for alterations and additions to Manor Road Garage, and was approved that month. These are likely to have included the Moderne style frontage building.
An advertisement for Manor Road Garage, thought to be of about 1937, survives in Richard Hollis Estate Agents guide. This specifies sales, service and repairs with cars for hire and a garage for 50 cars.
The four petrol pumps on the forecourt are of 1940s or early 1950s date.
The building continued in use as a working garage until circa 1973 and was then unoccupied until the time of survey.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION:
Manor Road Garage is designated for the following principal reasons:
* Historically it represents three phases of early motoring, post-World War I utilitarian workshops with a 1930s Moderne style frontage and a full set of 1940s or early 1950s petrol pumps.
* The Moderne style frontage is of architectural interest as a substantially intact frontage with central fin with a mount for flagpole, curved windows and walls and recessed bands to the wings
* Both Moderne style garages and full sets of 1940s or early 1950s petrol pumps are now extremely rare survivals.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings