This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.93 / 52°55'47"N
Longitude: -1.473 / 1°28'22"W
OS Eastings: 435521
OS Northings: 337082
OS Grid: SK355370
Mapcode National: GBR PLC.61
Mapcode Global: WHDGT.BMT5
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 28 September 2005
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1392461
English Heritage Legacy ID: 501500
Location: Derby, DE1
County: City of Derby
Unitary Authority Ward: Darley
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Chester Green St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Derby
893/0/10120 MANSFIELD ROAD
28-SEP-05 St Paul's Church
Church. 1848-9 by T D Barry and W Raffles Brown, of Liverpool; extended with new south aisle by P H Currey of Derby in 1897 to commemorate the 60th year of the reign of Queen Victoria.
Little Eaton coursed rubble stone with Duffield stone dressings; Welsh slate (Bangor Duchesses) roofs.
Cruciform plan with nave, chancel, transepts and aisles. Tower in re-entrant angle between chancel and north transept. Decorated style.
SOUTH AISLE: 4 bays with one single-light window and two 2-lights with cinquefoil heads under four-centred arches; projecting porch under steep roof, pointed archway of two orders.
EAST END, NORTH AND SOUTH TRANSEPTS: 3-light window with ogee heads and foiled circular tracery above, all under pointed arches. Hood mould and label stops to east window; label stops to north window.
TOWER: 3 stages with setback buttresses; plain parapet with crocketed pinnacles on corbel course; projecting north porch with pointed arch doorway an inner order with leaf capital to column; single-light window to second stage and two-light window with reticulated tracery to bell stage; stair turret terminating in finial spire on south east corner.
SOUTH AISLE: 4 bays; one 3-light and three 4-light ogee windows under square heads.
INTERIOR: 4-bay nave roof with scissor braces and struts; arcades on alternating round and octagonal columns with moulded capitals; pointed chancel arch; chancel roof of two bays with scissor braces.
East window, 1853 by J J Simpson, flanked by Commandment panels. Stained pine pews with trefoil headed panels; octagonal pulpit with tracery panels; octagonal stone font.
This is a good and intact example of an early Victorian church in an ecclesiologically correct style. .
Other nearby listed buildings